And that m'dear is why I bought a Tricross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Thanks a great post. My legs ache just looking at that climb.

Hardrock93

Guru
Logie Kirk - Sheriffmuir road - track past Lossburn reservoir on the north side of Dumyat - Menstrie? If so, chapeau on the climb from the kirk!

mrbadexample

Nice write-up. Made me chuckle. I can almost see you lying on the floor, giggling like a loon, fishing for the phone in your pocket. :crazy:

RAYMOND

Been there a few times walking,and had a pint at the pub,theres a annual marathon run there too, lots of sheep and lovely scenery.And unlike popular belief,it can be very sunny at times there.

Nearly there

Veteran
Nice pics

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
that path that has the cows on it is the path when we were younger we would walk to the loss dam for a wee swim in the hot summer days...i doubt i could walk that path now, the hill from menstrie to get you to that road is a killer, it`s so steep, it`s cardboard hill...when wewere younger a mate of mine was coming down that hill on a mountain bike , pulled his front brake to hard, went over the handlebars and broke his nose of a big ass rock

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Great pictures and account.
What i the main difference between tricross and road bikes.I presume gearing and tyres

Gearing's similar but the tyres are bigger. Forks have greater clearance to allow for the tyres and the mud, cantilever brakes for the same reason. The frame is heavier and sturdier (IMO).

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Tug - obviously I went down that hill into Menstrie and it's hair-raising steep. I had to be heavy on the brakes the whole way because any momentum would have had me tumbling down the hill.

Mind you, it levels off a bit near a farm and I got a strange look when I couldn't resist letting out a whoop as I sliced a turn at speed on the gravel, to the bemusement of the wifie bringing her washing in.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
the hill you cycled around, the dumyat is a very bust hill, i`ve seen all sort of people on it, i`ve seen peope cycling to the top of it and kids even walking up it, i used to walk it a lot, good hill..

it true what you say up your pictures not giving the logie kirk climb the credit it deserves, it`s a killer of a climb

sheriffmuiris is great for cycling, all 3 climbs up it are pure bitchies, it can be a little bit wet sometimes and once you go up by the sheriffmuir inn it can get a little windy..

here`s my last cycle up it, went up the dunblane climb, over to blackford, along the back of gleneagles to braco, up to greenloaning then up then back up to sheriffmuir,you have to cross the dreaded A9 twice but it`s worth it
http://app.strava.com/rides/23456050

Norm

Gearing's similar but the tyres are bigger. Forks have greater clearance to allow for the tyres and the mud, cantilever brakes for the same reason. The frame is heavier and sturdier (IMO).
Mostly spot on, but, broadly, the gearing is different to road bikes. The small ring at the front is smaller, the big ring at the back is bigger, it's one of the reasons why the Tricross (mine, at least) comes with an MTB rear mech with a long cage to accommodate the wide spacing.

The fork angles are also (still generalising hugely) a bit more relaxed than a road bike, and the wheel base is a bit longer, both for added stability compared to the roadie.

Top Bottom