..and then he hit him..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
Yesterday I was sitting on a wall by a bus stop in Harrogate. The road is a 3-lane one-way route passing the taxi rank by the Victoria shopping centre on one side with a large bus terminal, car park and railway station on t'other. It's a very busy stretch with a 30 limit.

I turned my head at the sound of a car horn to my right, 75 metres down the road, and saw the moment of impact as the offside front of an 08 reg black Chrysler 4x4 struck a cyclist from behind and sent him and his bike through the air. The cyclist was helped up by several shoppers: he was obviously cut, bruised and shaken and the bike was bent.

When I walked nearer, from across the road I could see hear a man saying that they were an off-duty police officer and watched him ask various people what had happened and writing it down. Unfortunately I could not get nearer as the continual traffic made it impossible to cross at that point.

What I can't understand is how the driver had time to sound his horn but apparently did not have time to brake. Should I have made more effort to add my own version to that of other witnesses? I didn't actually see what had happened before the impact.

Keith Oates

Janner
Shame you couldn't get over and put in your comment/opinion asterix, the cyclist would probably have needed a 'friendly face' after being shook up by the accident!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyfromotley

Dont think you had much to add to be honest......... the fact that he was struck by the vehicle is self evident. It's the cause that is important, and you cant help too much in that regard.
hope the cyclist was ok
andy

domtyler

Über Member
It certainly does seem strange. Most people do instinctively try to avoid collisions, not least because they will lead to a great deal of hassle in clearing up the aftermath.

domtyler

Über Member
User said:
Asterix says he saw the moment of impact - that is exceedingly important in any road traffic incident investigation. The fact that his attention was drawn by the sounding of a horn is also pertinent. Personally, I would contact the police and offer to make a witness statement.

If Asterix does decide to contact the police I would advise strongly against letting them know that you are a cyclist yourself.

spindrift

domtyler said:
If Asterix does decide to contact the police I would advise strongly against letting them know that you are a cyclist yourself.

I have heard that the cops discount witness statements from a cyclist who saw another cyclist injured, cos of "bias".

domtyler

Über Member
spindrift said:
I have heard that the cops discount witness statements from a cyclist who saw another cyclist injured, cos of "bias".

I would bet a months salary that the statement would hit the bottom of the bin even before he had finished stating that he is a cyclist. :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
As the cyclist was hit from behind, chances are the driver was at fault, but who's to say the cyclist didn't do something stupid like try to switch lanes without looking?

gbb

Legendary Member
Having been unfortunate enough to have hit a vehicle from behind in my younger driving days...despite what i thought were extenuating circumstances (we all say that, dont we xx(), i was told....
'if you hit someone from behind...you're to blame, there is no excuse''

Lets hope that still applies.

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
As the cyclist was hit from behind, chances are the driver was at fault, but who's to say the cyclist didn't do something stupid like try to switch lanes without looking?

Doesn't explain how he had time to sound his horn, but not to brake though.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Maybe it wasn't the car that tooted who hit him ? Perhaps someone else had cause to hit the horn, prompted by whatever the cyclist did just prior to being hit by the 4x4 ?

sadjack

domtyler said:
Doesn't explain how he had time to sound his horn, but not to brake though.

How do we know he did not brake, might have been braking as he sounded the horn. from what I've read we just dont know what happend, could have been a big bad driver, could have been a riding error in traffic.

Just hope the guys alright and of course if the cause was the big bad driver, he receives a just penalty......but thats another story is'nt it?

domtyler

Über Member
yenrod said:
Sounds like a pre-meditated attack if the cyclist was the 'target' !

HOpe justice gets served
!

That is incredibly unlikely as, in the eyes of the police and courts, the cyclist will always have to take a large part of the blame solely for being on the roads on a bike.

gavintc

Guru
domtyler said:
That is incredibly unlikely as, in the eyes of the police and courts, the cyclist will always have to take a large part of the blame solely for being on the roads on a bike.

Sadly, Dom I think your cynicism is correct. It is not a level playing field.

Top Bottom