..and then he hit him..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
why it is always black 4x4 idiot cars

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't know what happened so all I will add is this.

A big, heavy motor vehicle, 4x4 or not, will take some time to come to a stop after the brakes have been applied even in an emergency. At legal road speeds that can still take a second or two and that is more then enough time to sound the horn.
I nearly always sound the horn when making an emergency stop in the car as an audiable warning, I do it without thinking about it most times.

The motor vehicle may have been speeding or driving inappropriately in some other way, or it could have been driven completely legally and safely.
The cyclist could have been swerving to avoid something, darting out to avoid slow moving traffic ahead or just riding safely and legally.

We don't know if the motor vehicle drove into the cyclist or the cyclist swerved in front of the motor vehicle.

It isn't always cylist right motorist wrong, though it could have been, especially when we don't know the facts. The only known fact is that the cyclist will have a higher risk of being injured after a collision with a motor vehicle regardless of fault.

I hope the cyclist isn't badly hurt.

Tynan

Veteran
I usually think when driving that if there's time to sound the horn then it's not an emergency stop, which I think the earlier posters referred to

It seems that cars like this are involved in a disproportionate amount of accidents

it's such a stupid and expensive car that one might think a stupid and special sort of person might buy and drive it

stupidly

amazingly that even within that special group there's a colour

bet it had tinted windows too

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Tynan said:
I usually think when driving that if there's time to sound the horn then it's not an emergency stop
Not true at all: in an emergency stop, my hand would instinctively go for the horn at the same time as my foot went for the brake.

Ben

Trillian

If your horn is the centre of your steeringwheel, then yes, perhaps you are able to do so.

my car's horn is on the end of the indicator stalk, being able to find this in a situation such as an emergency stop is kind of hard

but then again, i'm normally changing down gears to aid the stop as i've found, through trial that i can shorten my 40mph stopping distance by five meters by changing down from third to second to assist the brakes

nb. my car was built at a time when people were taught to control speed with the gears, using brakes to assist.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
User said:
If you're doing that 'instinctively' then that would suggest that you're doing a lot of emergency stops
Two. The first on my driving test, the second 11 years ago when a football bounced out into the road. My car was stationary (and the horn sounding) before the child ran out after it.

I do, however, carry out periodic practices for a range of emergencies precisely so that things are instinctive in the real situation.

Ben

OP
OP
asterix

asterix

Comrade Member
Thanks for all the opinions on this.

First, I was pleased to see that the cyclist was being looked after by the numerous shoppers who witnessed the incident and had been lent a coat and chair. I suspect an ambulance was on its way. The off duty policeman was taking the matter very seriously and writing down information from several witnesses. The driver had very little communication with cyclist afterwards and stood apart from the group with his hands in his pockets. The cyclist seemed to be trying to show he was ok but was obviously at least heavily grazed and shaken.

I have not contacted the police as my attention was drawn by the horn, immediately after which I saw the impact so I don't know how the thing started. It didn't look to me as if the vehicle braked until the impact but with a quick glance at 75 metres it's hard to be sure. No doubt marks on the road will reveal heavy braking if any. The use of horn just before impact still doesn't make sense to me, maybe if I'd seen the whole thing it would do.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that if the guy had rear-ended another car like that it would be his fault, end of story.

andyfromotley

With this being harrogate where people really are frightfully nice, i suspect he was covered with a picnic blanket and immediately given a scone and an infusion of tea from bettys.

andy

Top Bottom