And we should care because...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If people are gullible, stupid, and unwilling to take responsibility for the provenance of the information which they allow to influence their lives, then that really is their problem.

If the misinformation influences how they behave as society, e.g. how they vote, or causes they then choose to support or oppose then it's everyone's problem.

Drago

Legendary Member
nope, it ain't my problem. I, as they say, are alright jack. I'm one of those who will emerge stronger.

And there is also a rank hypocricy about all this. They're not ok with that which they perceive as fake news, yet they're quite happy to peddle their own opinion in the full knowledge of the influence they themselves yield. Who is to say that Kim Philby's opinion and profiteering on a social platform have any less of a detrimental effect to society? The whole damn thing is rotten, and siding with the maggots complaining about the mould is laughable.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Im suspending my Cycle Chat account for 24 seconds because of the lack of cycling related stories and news. It will increase to 24 minutes, 24 hours, 24 days etc until this situation is rectified. Im like a hip thrusting rock star and you will lose a billion clicks if you do not comply.

PS Please donate money to me...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
nope, it ain't my problem. I, as they say, are alright jack. I'm one of those who will emerge stronger.
Of course it's your problem, it affects you. Social media influence and manipulation is having a direct affect on the results of elections and referendums, and that will have an effect, either positive or negative, on almost every aspect of your and your family's lives, benefit payments to council funding to future job prospects to national legislation, pretty much everything. You may not give a monkeys about Joe Bloggs across the road, but I'm sure you give a shoot about your family.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The only purpose to humanity they might to be useful is as organ donors perhaps. The bits not full of plastic and BOTOX anyway. Dreadful people and an utter waste of space.
The issue isn’t whether you like her or not.
it’s whether the choreographed manipulation of social media is a good or bad thing.
and anyone with an interest in democracy will see that it’s a bad thing.
she has millions of followers so her input is welcome by me, even though I agree with you on the point made above.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The issue isn’t whether you like her or not.
it’s whether the choreographed manipulation of social media is a good or bad thing.
and anyone with an interest in democracy will see that it’s a bad thing.
Of course it's a bad thing but I don't think she is going to achieve anything any more than King Canute did. Call me a grumpy old cynic but I think it's more do with keeping her profile alive.

The only purpose to humanity they might to be useful is as organ donors perhaps. The bits not full of plastic and BOTOX anyway. Dreadful people and an utter waste of spac
The only purpose to humanity they might to be useful is as organ donors perhaps. The bits not full of plastic and BOTOX anyway. Dreadful people and an utter waste of space.
I can't believe that I'm getting involved in a Kardashian thread, but "useful as organ donors" and "an utter waste of space" is incredibly strong language!
I can only assume that you have had some personal interactions with these "organ donors" and that they have wronged you in some way?

I'd like to point out that a significant group of people would consider cyclists as useful organ donors when they weren't wasting space on the road.

Elsewhere on this site you're advocating the creation of a cycling nirvana and I'm genuinely curious as to how you'd deal with an opponent saying that your cycling ideas are a waste of space, or indeed that your sole use to humanity is as an organ donor simply because you ride a bike and advocate that others should too?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I do apologise Hobbes, I did have the misfortune of having to work with some of them in my old career. They considered themselves much better than us mere mortals and we were just there to serve.

If the misinformation influences how they behave as society, e.g. how they vote, or causes they then choose to support or oppose then it's everyone's problem.
People believe so called miss information because they want to believe it. They make a personal choice to believe one thing over another, no matter how ridiculous it is. Even when evidence is supplied which disproves the "misinformation".
Anyway Corbyn is right, no I am not talkIng Corbyn the jew hater, I am talking about Corbyn the so called conspiracy theorists. He is obviously right Bill Gates did create coronavirus.?..obviously!

Last edited:
Like her (and the other celebrities involved in #StopHateforProfit) or not, she has a massive social media presence; using it to promote an important cause is commendable.
At best a naive statement. She doesn't give a monkeys about misinformation she cares about herself and only herself. Her mere persona is misinformation. I suspect your support for her is based on a belief that she supports your views of what is or isn't misinformation. Silly boy the airhead supports the adulation of all her airhead supporters and the money that gains her.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The family do have a bit of form for altering things especially themselves. Talk about fake and dishonest.

AndyRM

XOXO
At best a naive statement. She doesn't give a monkeys about misinformation she cares about herself and only herself. Her mere persona is misinformation. I suspect your support for her is based on a belief that she supports your views of what is or isn't misinformation. Silly boy the airhead supports the adulation of all her airhead supporters and the money that gains her.

There are a lot of assumptions going on there.

Top Bottom