Android phone question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
My phone has been trying to do some sort of update to the language for over 24 hours now and is saying waiting for connection even though I am connected to a working Internet connection.

How can I fix this? I tried a reboot but it made no difference. It is an Alcatel 3X

i had that on two android things of mine the other day.
I just let it be and eventually it sorted itself/downloaded.

I did have a hunt around to see if I could delete/disable whatever this google feature was as i have not the slightest wish to talk to google or to have google or anything on my devices talk to me. I also don't use any voice navigation thingies.

I'd just wait a few days.

And persionally check that the download is over a home network/wifi rather than any mobile data plan.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I never know if updates are waiting for a connection at my end or theirs!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As above I disable anything Google related and generally get no annoying things like this.

yello

Mine did that the other day. No idea why. I just killed it.

I'm not actually sure how google speech services found its way onto my phone! I' sure I'd deleted it at some point in the past (but see my memory thread for what we think we did ;) !!)

As above I disable anything Google related and generally get no annoying things like this.
Fair to assume that if you disable something (so it won't be getting any updates, which of course might include fixing security holes) that there will be no security concerns?
I have disabled "google" on a very old smartphone as it seemed to cripple it.

Mine did that the other day. No idea why. I just killed it.

I'm not actually sure how google speech services found its way onto my phone! I' sure I'd deleted it at some point in the past (but see my memory thread for what we think we did ;) !!)
be handy if someone clever could list various google things that are not needed.
They are forever updating - more than most apps.
I have no idea what many of them do - if anything useful.
I find that whenever you try to disable any google thing they warn you that it may stop various things working.
I strongly suspect that this is in most instances just waffle/scare stories.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
CC is the only app on my phone other than Duck Duck Go. Never register with anything so no issue really.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I disable anything I know I don't use then one at a time to see if phone stops doing what I want.

yello

You can completely de-google android if you want. It is a bit techie and not really for those not techie minded though. I've done it to my tablet but not because of 'google fear*' but more because of speed and space - google sucks resource and slows things down, more so on the later versions of android. I've a 10 year old tablet running android 7 - it'd grind to a halt with google and a later version of android.

You could just disable every app with 'google' in the name though, that's if you can't uninstall it. Edit: really, that's not going to make so much difference though. It's the 'google services framework' (and that includes Play/Playstore) that are the villains of the peace.

*I respect those that don't want google in their lives, I can get my head around that. I personally am not THAT concerned by it though. Google provide a lot for free (well, not upfront cost to you) and there's no such thing as a free lunch etc. Not looking for an argument btw. As I say, I respect people that do want to de-google as I understand why - no quibble from there. Indeed, I am 'google-light'.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I didn't know there was a CC app.
I mininimise apps.
Many apps can just be replaced with a quicklink to the appropriate webpage - and plonk this on your google device homescreen.

I didn't either, I've looked but can't see cyclechat on the playstore.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
be handy if someone clever could list various google things that are not needed.
They are forever updating - more than most apps.
I have no idea what many of them do - if anything useful.
I find that whenever you try to disable any google thing they warn you that it may stop various things working.
I strongly suspect that this is in most instances just waffle/scare stories.
You want to try having a Samsung. They come pre-encumbered with vast saggy swamps of bloatware - all of it worthless, all of it ununinstallable. And bits of it particularly irritating - like the notification that pops up every time you wake the phone that says 'Wouldn't you like to change from your Google keyboard to a Samsung keyboard?' I've been swiping that nag away for five years now - must have done it thousands of times. You'd think it might have got the idea, but no: 'Wouldn't you like to change from your Google keyboard to a Samsung keyboard?' As a Samsung owner, you just get reconciled to the fact that the hardware's top notch, the software sucks. Google stuff by comparison is positively gentlemanly.

One thing you Android guys might not have seen....
Google have put a Covid 19 contact tracing app on your phone. They haven't told you, and you can't remove it. By default it is switched off, but beware - it exists. Settings>Google will find it. Make sure it is off!!!!

Top Bottom