Andy got clipped by a van - arallsopp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Afternoon all.

I got my bike back today!

I was going to wait until I was mobile enough to collect it, but was fortunate to have use of somebody else's Legg.

Its good to see her again. A little rusty and evidently upset with me for letting her sit outside for so long. Looks intact, with visible damage seemingly limited to replaceable extremities (bar end shifters, lights, GPS mount, etc).

Going to have a closer look later on to see if there's any hidden woes. Main concerns will be risk of delamination in the carbon. (Seat, cranks, boom, etc).

The bar ends are in a trajectory that sees them slam the seat if the bike is laid down unexpectedly, and the visible damage says I slid a fair distance on the left one. The seat is replaceable, so not all bad. The boom and cranks can be swapped out if need be. They look ok at the moment, but floating out front are vulnerable to big forces in unexpected directions.

All manufacturers seem to say "if you hit carbon, replace it" but I'm hoping this is more about them covering their @rses than mine.

Ah... Its good to have her back.

Of course, now we'll need a new home for Ted's islabike. "Oy Ted! You're in my spot."

Andy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Good to hear you got it back and that fingers crossed it's only superficial damage.
Might pop by for a cuppa with littlun tomorrow to cast my beady eye over it..
thumbsup.png

her_welshness

It's all rather lovely to hear about the bike, but how are you, more importantly?! Has there been more news from the police/CCTV etc?

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Good to hear you got it back and that fingers crossed it's only superficial damage.
Might pop by for a cuppa with littlun tomorrow to cast my beady eye over it..
thumbsup.png

Don't do it! The bike has grime on it!
laugh.gif

Myself and Andy popped over this afternoon narrowly missing seeing Mr Legg. Lovely cups of tea, good conversation, heart melting smiles from Darcey, Andy (arallsopp) doing a great Beaker (The Muppets) impression with his hair and Andy (Martok) jumping on the trampoline with Ted being some of the highlights. All in all a great 40.5 mile round trip in quite wonderful weather.

Get well soon!

Abs

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that bike's in the perfect state for Ian to conduct a cleaning masterclass on it..........

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Glad to hear there's some positive news Andy. Carbon + crashes....hmmm. I have some knowledge of this, and not just from er, personal experience- the other week at my LBS, I went to an evening seminar, and one of the guys did a talk about carbon care- and what happens when it goes wrong (there were several rather frightening examples of damage, including sadly on one of my fellow attendees' bikes..!!). As my Italian lovely demonstrates, it's not papier mache & can handle minor impacts OK (first day I had it it fell over, put a teeny dent in the top tube), especially if the rider gets in the way! Unfortunately, it's not always visible to the naked eye. I'd strongly recommend getting it thoroughly checked over by a professional, and if in doubt, get the affected bits replaced anyway.

+1 for getting Captain Clean on the case. It'll keep him happy! :smile:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Evening all, still waiting on the police to see what gives.

The driver's statement explains how he followed me onto the junction but didn't see me, and my statement explains how he narrowly passed by my head, hit my left hand as he closed on the inside, then contacted my leg toppling me from the bike.

It was good to see friends today. I've not made it more than half way towards the local shops as yet, and am watching the weather turn nice with some frustration. I'm getting more adept with the crutches, but can't say I like being stuck indoors, nor that I'm coping with it all that well. Visitors make it all the better, even if they do go on about the nice riding conditions ;)

I'll be on crutches and brace for a couple of weeks yet, and am waiting on ligaments and MRI scans. Work are sending me to the states for 10 days on Sunday, which should be fun. From what I've seen before, nobody walks there anyway.

Dell was very helpful in delivering the bike. From the difficulties encountered, I'd say delivery as in obstetrics, not post. A good rummage around the various yards and gate keepers of Kennington saw a great result.

The house feels complete again.

Top Bottom