Andy's Modelmaking Misadventures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Getting there. It's hard to get a decent picture and I'm still not delighted with the results in reality either, but I'm working on it...

View attachment 607156
View attachment 607157

View attachment 607158
Needs something alongside for a sense of scale. €2 coin?

Betsy_Miller_10_scaled.jpg

Does that help?

Lowmac_02_21.jpg

Moving onto the body of the wagons, and as usual I keep trying new stuff in the optimistic hope I'll improve. The Foremost wagon has had some carefully added wash painting to give it a bit of rust around the container anchor points and around a few of the details; the middle wagon started the same colour with a more liberally applied dark wash.

The third one is... green.

I'll keep weathering the foremost two but just add a fairly subtle finish to the green one, so it hopefully gives the impression that this one is fresh out of the works, while the other two are really due for overhaul...

Some time ago I set myself the Entirely Random Arbitrary Goal (E.R.A.G.) of having eight wagons, a “railcar”; a large “main line” locomotive, and a shunter, before attempting to build anything as exciting as a railway for them to play on.

20211024_193559.jpg

Since then the entirely fictional Körschtalbahn has gained three vans, three wood wagons and and three container low loaders, meaning that for once I’ve actually had enough self discipline to keep working on a long term project. When I realised this I got all excited and started working on the carriages, forgetting that really they’re planned for the next stage of the project (E.R.A.G 2.0, watch this space if you think you can handle the excitement).

My excuse for this sudden burst of frivolity is that I do have a shunter, built over a decade ago when I thought the Körschtalbahn would be built to British “O” gauge or 1:43.5 scale. As this was was my first model making project, it has a number of issues, not least that I really didn’t know how big I should build the model and aimed high. It’s massively over scale for 1:43, let alone my current scale of 1:55, as demonstrated by the loco on a low leader:

shunter_2.0_00i.jpg

So, change of plan: make new shunter, then carriages...

Control_Tower_04.jpg

Due to current levels of busyness, I'm making a few "simple" tabletop game models on the basis that I have to make stuff or implode...

As usual I’ve rather randomly decided on the current project. this time it's a “control tower” because… um… I’ll think of something.

This will join the slowly growing collection of buildings and other odds and ends which are developing into a sort of low budget “secret base”. If you think of NASA or the sort of things that usually comes at the end of the more expensive science fiction movies, and then think of the opposite, and about a hundred years ago, you’ve got it about right.

View attachment 627085

Due to current levels of busyness, I'm making a few "simple" tabletop game models on the basis that I have to make stuff or implode...

As usual I’ve rather randomly decided on the current project. this time it's a “control tower” because… um… I’ll think of something.

This will join the slowly growing collection of buildings and other odds and ends which are developing into a sort of low budget “secret base”. If you think of NASA or the sort of things that usually comes at the end of the more expensive science fiction movies, and then think of the opposite, and about a hundred years ago, you’ve got it about right.

Hah, that looks like part of the tower complex on Brunel University's Uxbridge campus... :laugh: A prime example of 1960s concrete! When sat in the computer lab at the top of Tower C, you had a really good view of Heathrow Airport.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
View attachment 627085

Several years ago, I worked in an office that looked just like that on the third floor.

Top Bottom