Angry threats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle said:
Wot, with the arms that buckle up behind :biggrin:

Right sorry, I'm going back to lurking ........

Now, now, lurkings not allowed. Unless of course you don't agree with me....:biggrin:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Crackle said:
Wot, with the arms that buckle up behind :biggrin:

Right sorry, I'm going back to lurking ........

No no no, I meant men in white coats wot administer them long sleeve jackets wot do up at the back. 'They're coming to take me away' etc, etc.:biggrin:

magnatom said:
Now, now, lurkings not allowed. Unless of course you don't agree with me....:biggrin:

In one fell swoop, he has me unfurl my colours or be declared an enemy of the fan club :smile:

I shall do so: You rode well, I agree entirely with BM's comments on your positioning. :biggrin:

The guy in the car was a bully and a coward. :biggrin:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Hairy Jock said:
No living in a civilised country is NOT having to put up with behaviour like that. You really have a poor grasp of reality if you think that is civilised or rational behaviour.
So I take it that you have never driven or cycled too close to anyone or anything and that you have not accidentally bumped into anyone or anything when walking.
In what way was the bike in a dangerous position?? Stopped at a road junction - a very safe place to stop and talk!
magnatom said:
I cycle 5 days a week, although I do have the odd day off here and there. I have 6 weeks holiday a year (I only took 5 last year) so assuming on average I cycle 4 days a week when I am at work (conservative) I have probably cycles [sic] to and from work approximately 346 times.
You are not very precise for a scientist, are you? From Feb 2007 to May 1 2008, did you cycle 346 days or 173 days?
Let’s call it 4.5 times a week and a start date of 1/2/07, should we? If we divide 346 or 173 by 4.5 that will give is the number of weeks that you cycled.
346 days divided by 4.5 will give you 76.88 weeks plus you had 5 weeks off, that’s a total of 81.88 weeks or 573 days. Adding 573 days to 1/2/07 will give us 27/8/08.
173 days divided by 4.5 will give you 38.44 weeks plus the 5 you had off will give us 43.44 weeks or 304 days. Adding 304 days to 1/2/07 will give us 2/12/07.
Your posting date was not 27/8/08 nor was it 2/12/07.So the remainder of your 'stats' post is flawed as well!

We seem to have two schools of thought here; one wants to 'coexist relatively peacefully on the road' whilst the other is more aggressive and does not want to make compromises! If you drive aggressively then you can expect aggression in return but if you cycle with courtesy and consideration then you can expect that it will be returned (does not always happen!).
There is also the 'knock-on effect' to aggressive cycling - you have 'annoyed' the motorist so what does he do to the next cyclist he sees? He shouldn't but he does!

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=99XaRuD7Y1U

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DDvzADNR9dA

The above videos were taken from just one of my rides - shot November 2, 2007 between 0630 and 0800. What do you see? Cycles and motorcycles heading towards me on the same carriageway, traffic cutting across my bows, turning onto the main road without checking oncoming traffic and that's just for starters.
You quickly learn your commute route, know the hazards and the daily traffic flow pattern - so is there any need for aggressive cycling? Learn to be assertive without being aggressive, considerate and courteous. Remember that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
From what I see of the video Bangkok has consistency to it's driving, a bit hairy mind but fairly easy to predict after some experience, I would imagine.

Are the Thai's normally agressive drivers by nature or just casual and foolhardy? Honest question btw.

To compare the expectation of trouble on the roads in Bangkok with that of Glasgow doesn't quite work for me as I'd imagine that driving has a different social and cultural identity in each country.

Mr.Hippo, just out of curiosity why is there an edit at 34 seconds into the first clip?

The point where it appears to start following the moped undertaking the stationary bus?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
tdr1nka said:
1) From what I see of the video Bangkok has consistency to it's driving, a bit hairy mind but fairly easy to predict after some experience, I would imagine.
2) Are the Thai's normally agressive drivers by nature or just casual and foolhardy? Honest question btw.
3) To compare the expectation of trouble on the roads in Bangkok with that of Glasgow doesn't quite work for me as I'd imagine that driving has a different social and cultural identity in each country.
4) Mr.Hippo, just out of curiosity why is there an edit at 34 seconds into the first clip?

The point where it appears to start following the moped undertaking the stationary bus?

1) You hit the nail on the head there! If I can predict what could happen and make allowances - why can't/don't other cyclists instead of whinging about it?
2) Honest question - honest answer. We have all types of drivers here. Why don't the majority of Thais check oncoming traffic when turning left onto a main road? Thai answer - "I am not turning right so I don't have to look right!"
3) The clips illustrate that I am subjected to close overtakes, cars pulling out, etc.
4) Both clips are edited highlights from just one ride - the whole video is 69 minutes long. In the main, traffic lights in Bangkok are manually operated so you get to know how long each set will be on red for. The bus was on a service run and would not be turning left. Using my knowledge and experience, I knew that I had enough time to scoot past the bus and reach the ASL and that the bus stops shortly after the lights. You can see what happens on

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNiJhk-lG58

Tetedelacourse

Hairy Jock said:
Is there a statistician in the house we need a P value for this.... come to think of it there is no adequate control either. We need a volunteer to ride the same route the same number of time in the most submissive manor possible, carried a camera and compare the number of incidents....

zatly. As I said, harumph.

I've never been to a submissive manor.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
^ Oh, no , you didn't - that has not been on here before but I did make reference to it on the close overtake thread - post #158. You probably saw it on youtube but not here.
Did you read and understand "Both clips are edited highlights from just one ride - the whole video is 69 minutes long. In the main, traffic lights in Bangkok are manually operated so you get to know how long each set will be on red for. The bus was on a service run and would not be turning left. Using my knowledge and experience, I knew that I had enough time to scoot past the bus and reach the ASL and that the bus stops shortly after the lights. You can see what happens on

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNiJhk-lG58
"?

Top Bottom