Angry threats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:
i meant to slow enough so you could have let him pass after the roundabout,where there was a gap before parked cars,then similar after that,but only if you dont mind slowing?Thats what im trying to get at,BM has argued you might have to stop,i cant see you having to do that,but slowing enough would let them go on their way,and everyone would be happy,and all you did was loose a few seconds?do you see what im trying to get at?

I think your sentiment is great, and I too would have pulled in for the motorist if it had been safe and convenient to do so.

At the roundabout in the video, however, I don't think there's anywhere nearly long enough or safe enough to pull over for the motorist, at least not without slowing down to a near or complete stop behind one of the parked cars. Slowing from 15 to a stop and starting again is more effort than I'd be willing to give in that situation, especially when I was about to turn right, and any real delay to the motorist can't have been more than 5 seconds. Squeezing up to the parked cars to allow the following car to overtake wouldn't be an option for me - risk of dooring and risk of him having to swerve in for oncoming traffic is just too much for my comfort.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
I think thats well put,but i would also add,be well mannered on the road,it does get better results,by that i mean,if you can,let cars pass,and why worry about slowing to do it,unless your in training,but i guess you wont hold anyone up then anyway:smile:

The funny thing is, this is exactly what I do, which is why I am confused about some of the criticism I receive. Remember, the videos I post tend to happen at 'incident hotspots' i.e., I know in advance where they tend to occur. Therefore, this is where I take more assertive positions on the road. So my videos are biased towards places where I am in the primary position. There are stretches of my commute where I am in secondary for the majority of it. you don't tend to see that much because these are not 'hotspots'.

Look back at my historical posts on here, you will find countless posts from me where I suggest that I move over and let cars pass where safe to do so.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Origamist said:
No, BM. I have never said there were "significant probelms" with VC. I doubt you are wilfully misrepresenting my remarks, but it does your arguement little credit.

What I object to is people making unsupported claims about "proper cyclecraft" and its ability to reduce accident rates when there is no meaningful data available to prove or disprove this supposition.

That was my impression from your previous post, perhaps I was mistaken? Why don't you spell out your stance on this issue to make it clear to all? Are you aware of evidence that it is unsafe or bad practice?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Origamist said:
No, BM. I have never said there were "significant probelms" with VC. I doubt you are wilfully misrepresenting my remarks, but it does your arguement little credit.

What I object to is people making unsupported claims about "proper cyclecraft" and its ability to reduce accident rates when there is no meaningful data available to prove or disprove this supposition.

Have you ignored my reply to you? :eek:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Am I the only one who is quite enjoying this thread. Plenty of debate, and yet everyone seems to be getting on without arguing. :biggrin:

I bet there are others who have looked at this thread and gone :biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
The funny thing is, this is exactly what I do, which is why I am confused about some of the criticism I receive. Remember, the videos I post tend to happen at 'incident hotspots' i.e., I know in advance where they tend to occur. Therefore, this is where I take more assertive positions on the road. So my videos are biased towards places where I am in the primary position. There are stretches of my commute where I am in secondary for the majority of it. you don't tend to see that much because these are not 'hotspots'.

Look back at my historical posts on here, you will find countless posts from me where I suggest that I move over and let cars pass where safe to do so.

I knew a very polite lad at work,a great mate he was,a real gentlemen,but when he thought he was right there would be no compromise,no give at all in his opinion,and was immovable on his stance.Which tended to wind people up,even if he was in the right.All im saying is,a little give would save a lot,in some situations;)

MERV

magnatom said:
Am I the only one who is quite enjoying this thread. Plenty of debate, and yet everyone seems to be getting on without arguing. :biggrin:

I bet there are others who have looked at this thread and gone :biggrin:

No im still here.:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
I knew a very polite lad at work,a great mate he was,a real gentlemen,but when he thought he was right there would be no compromise,no give at all in his opinion,and was immovable on his stance.Which tended to wind people up,even if he was in the right.All im saying is,a little give would save a lot,in some situations;)

Col, I think you will find I have given on a number of occasions. For example, in my video where I was overtaking and the car coming the other way stopped, as if it had been blocked, I conceeded that the driver may have thought I was turning etc. In fact I no longer overtake on that stretch when there is oncoming traffic. Have you ever 'given'?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

MERV said:
No im still here.:biggrin:

Actually, I'm just about to leave. I've had time to post, because I have had data transferring which has held me back from doing anything else, and I am way too tired to read some papers (youngest has a nasty virus, so very little sleep last night). :biggrin:

MERV

The thing is that people in a car are protected by a big metal box so when they hit you it tends to hurt you more then it hurts them and also I don't trust half of the buggers.What exactly does BMW mean?

Am i right or am I right?

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I think your sentiment is great, and I too would have pulled in for the motorist if it had been safe and convenient to do so.

At the roundabout in the video, however, I don't think there's anywhere nearly long enough or safe enough to pull over for the motorist, at least not without slowing down to a near or complete stop behind one of the parked cars. Slowing from 15 to a stop and starting again is more effort than I'd be willing to give in that situation, especially when I was about to turn right, and any real delay to the motorist can't have been more than 5 seconds. Squeezing up to the parked cars to allow the following car to overtake wouldn't be an option for me - risk of dooring and risk of him having to swerve in for oncoming traffic is just too much for my comfort.

There would have been no need to stop,if you slowed as you round the roundabout in secondary,there would have been ample time and space for it to pass before you reached the parked cars,and you would still be able to carry on.The right turn was further down the road,and i cant see how it would have been a problem to make the turn?I suppose i am willing to make an effort.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
That was my impression from your previous post, perhaps I was mistaken? Why don't you spell out your stance on this issue to make it clear to all? Are you aware of evidence that it is unsafe or bad practice?

Yes, you were mistaken.

Why is it that you feel you need to know my stance? My questions are valid without a potted biog of my cycling modus operandi and they remain unanswered.

As I have stated, I have no evidence that VC is unsafe or is bad practice.

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Col, I think you will find I have given on a number of occasions. For example, in my video where I was overtaking and the car coming the other way stopped, as if it had been blocked, I conceeded that the driver may have thought I was turning etc. In fact I no longer overtake on that stretch when there is oncoming traffic. Have you ever 'given'?

I do give yes;)

magnatom said:
Actually, I'm just about to leave. I've had time to post, because I have had data transferring which has held me back from doing anything else, and I am way too tired to read some papers (youngest has a nasty virus, so very little sleep last night). :biggrin:

I know your worry,my son has whooping cough,for the last week or so,iv had two nights sleep in that time,the rest has been laying waiting and listenning for him,very scary when he cant breath,and is struggling with his waist getting sucked behind his tummy muscles,and he is rock hard.horrible week here too.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:
There would have been no need to stop,if you slowed as you round the roundabout in secondary,there would have been ample time and space for it to pass before you reached the parked cars,and you would still be able to carry on.The right turn was further down the road,and i cant see how it would have been a problem to make the turn?I suppose i am willing to make an effort.

You see this is something I'm very uncomfortable with - being in secondary and sharing the lane whilst on a roundabout. They tend to be amongst the more dangerous of junctions, and I just don't want to be out of the most visible place in the road, and with a car next to me as well whilst we're both turning.

From previous posts, it seems that we actually think and ride quite similarly, but draw the line at slightly different compromises. I think you're more willing to slow down and help the motorists overtake you, and I'm less willing to compromise my own safety, but it's probably only a fairly subtle difference, rather than a completely different philosophy. Does that sound fair to you?

Top Bottom