Annecy, France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Thanks for the info, sounds fantastic. We need some fairly flat stuff for the girls, but I'm certainly up for the climbs.
Do you know if Colombiere etc are within riding distance?
That depends on how long you will be spending out on the bike on your own and where you will be based. Annecy town is at the northern end of the lake and some distance from the Colombiere. The climb up the Semnoz starts in Annecy town, but the others I mentioned are more accessible if you stay at the middle or south end of the lake (we have always previously stayed at Doussard). My wife doesn't cycle, so I tend to get up at stupid o'clock and get a 2-3 hour ride in before breakfast every day and then go off out together in the car. When I do the Colombiere and either the Croix Fry or the Aravis this year, I'll be driving off down the road for 20 minutes or so to start my rides. Will probably start the Colombiere from Le Grand Bornand and the Aravis from Flumet. I've always been one for resisting using the car if I can do a ride entirely from "home", but those climbs are just too tempting, and I'm sure it'll be worth getting the car out.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just seen that you will be in Doussard. The ride into Annecy (or up to Ugine) will be easy enough for wife (and kids?) to join you. My best recommendation is that you don't miss the Cote de Puget. Ride the railway path as far as St Eustache, where you take the slip ramp on the left where you see the building marked "Marine Services" and take the little road up through the estate to La Chapelle St Maurice. Then turn around and enjoy the spectacular lake views on your way back down to Doussard. There and back is about 26 miles from Doussard. As to the circuit of the lake, I made that 25.1 miles from Doussard. Both quite possible before breakfast! The climb up to the Col de la Forclaz (the difficult way, via Vesonne and Montmin) is also very close by from Doussard, and the view from the summit is not to be missed. (Also take the missus up there to eat at the Chalet la Pricaz, just below the paragliding take off point).

OP
OP
addictfreak
That depends on how long you will be spending out on the bike on your own and where you will be based. Annecy town is at the northern end of the lake and some distance from the Colombiere. The climb up the Semnoz starts in Annecy town, but the others I mentioned are more accessible if you stay at the middle or south end of the lake (we have always previously stayed at Doussard). My wife doesn't cycle, so I tend to get up at stupid o'clock and get a 2-3 hour ride in before breakfast every day and then go off out together in the car. When I do the Colombiere and either the Croix Fry or the Aravis this year, I'll be driving off down the road for 20 minutes or so to start my rides. Will probably start the Colombiere from Le Grand Bornand and the Aravis from Flumet. I've always been one for resisting using the car if I can do a ride entirely from "home", but those climbs are just too tempting, and I'm sure it'll be worth getting the car out.

As long as we keep the wife's happy (they both cycle) there'll be no issue with us disappearing all day. Booked to stay at Doussard. We will have already done Alp d'huez and a few others by the time we get to Doussard. We will just take things as they come, could certainly do lake route with the girls and leave them at points along the way as we take in the climbs and then rejoin them later. Looking forward to it.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The Col de Tamie is also worth doing from Faverges. Quite tame as cols go, as it just chugs gently up a valley past the chateau, but there is a defensive fort at the top (Fort de Tamie) that, if you carry on just a few more hundred yards after it, leads you to the crest. Carry on a little bit on the other side down to the church at Mercury and you'll get a great view of Albertville, with Mont Blanc in the background. It's a nice quiet road.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
You might also want to look up "Col des Cyclotouristes". That heads out from Albertville up to another fort on the opposite side of the valley. Drove it in the car once, and it frightened the bejeezus out of me. (Too narrow for two way traffic, but might be great .... and really challenging on a bike).

Top Bottom