Annoyed and Angry...Go Ahead Bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Ever since being knocked off on my commute, I have taken to wearing a helmet cam so I will have some evidence if anything happens. I don't regard myself as a helmet cam vigilante and I normally delete the close passes and the like. However on my way home tonight, about 100 metres from where I was knocked off before, I had one of the closest passes I have ever had from a bus. I can't help but think it was deliberate and I was pretty shook up. In the past I have reported bad driving to Roadsafe (no response) and another bus company (standard reply), so I am not sure what to do with this.

move on

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Give them a foot and they will take an inch.

In situations like this, i can't help but think that it is some kind of punishment for pushing in front, which is what you did. There was no ASL there, you just pushed in front of him. I would recommend waiting behind the first bus. Why? Open road syndrome.

Open road syndrome is where a driver can see the open road ahead, and they just must get in front so they can go their speed. However, with a bus in front blocking the view of the open road, the likely hood of them passing is very much lower.

I'm of course not excusing such driving but I like to think we can look back at our footage and try and make our selves safer cyclists.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Very close indeed. There's no excuse for a pass like that, but Gaz is right about open-road syndrome. I often opt to sit in primary behind the traffic, providing I'm sure I'll get through the lights on that sequence, for that very reason.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My first thought while watching this was " I know I'm a country bumpkin, but them cyclist in that there London certainly like to take risks" yeah, I would have stayed well behind the two buses :blush:
No excuse for poor driving, @Trickedem , scary experience, good you're ok.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was plenty of time for Trickers to filter to the front of the queue of two buses.

As regards the pass, it was close, but was it also not on zebra crossing zig-zag lines?

I think it's an offence to pass a car on those, although I'm not sure if it's an offence to pass a cyclist.

MarkF

Guru
Poor driving, but if I had been familiar with that road, narrow, busy with railings blocking my escape, I wouldn't have filtered in front of the bus.

MarkF

Guru
It was two buses though. What if it is several?

I didn't like the look of that road and railings, it reminds me of one out of Shipley, I'd wait, just as I would behind courier vans too, the drivers are stressed and more concerned with their schedule than the cyclist.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm quite lucky. My commute is on reasonably quiet roads so I opt to stay in traffic in primary because It doesn't make that much difference. On rare occasions where it's bad enough that I do filter I don't go all the way to the front for reasons similar to @gaz.

One of the advantages of cycling is you can filter rather just sit in traffic. I don't know what I'd do on roads like that. If you don't filter you might as well be in a car I suppose.

I think I'd definitely report the bus driver though. There's no excuse for a pass like that. I think I've said this before but I'd be asking what the bus driver would think if he'd knocked the OP off and killed him. If he'd feel nothing he shouldn't be driving. If he'd be devastated he should've thought of that before making a dangerous pass.

400bhp

Guru
So bl00dy stupid that overtake, more so given that there's railings on your left,

It's a bit tricky to decide what to do when you've got a couple of buses waiting at red. As @gaz says, it's a punishment pass for going to the front, exacerbated because of your over emphasised positioning move to his left when you went past.

Reactions: 4F

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'm with TNM here. The pass was dangerous, but you crossed the stop line in order to put yourself in that position. With an open road ahead, the buses were likely to make faster progress, and if not it's never long before they pull up at a bus stop.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Thanks for the comments everyone. Because of the angle of the bus at the front of the queue I thought he was turning right as some buses do at this junction. But even if I made a mistake it doesn't excuse the dangerous driving. I could easily have not shown that part of the recording, but I deliberately left it in to add context. Anyway I am going to report this as it was so close and if I had wobbled I almost certainly would have been seriously hurt.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I know that road through Plumstead all too well, having been hit not far from that junction. It is a horrid stretch of road.
What may not be clear from the video is that the bus at the lights is actually at a bus stop. I've often thought it is a stupid place to put a bus stop, it makes the traffic do silly things at the lights, so if i can i will try to get in front of the buses.
It doesnt condone the stupid close pass though.

Top Bottom