annoying brake problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Hi i have a dawes giro 300 road bike with tectro ? cantilever brakes.
Basically i have broken the black plastic locking clip and i was wondering were i would be able to buy a spare part in the london area not a whole new brake set.
It is still covered under warranty but i am in London and the shop i bought it is in Wiltshire.
Unfourtently i have to ride back to Wiltshire next sunday and would rather not have to do it with one brake. Ive tried ringing Dawes but its going to take to long to get it sorted as i haven't got a digital camera to prove it is broken.
Does anybody know were i may be able to get hold of this part in a short space of time? It is only a silly plastic clip so i am hopeing it will not be very expensive.

RedBike

Black plastic clip?

I think you might need that picture after all.

OP
OP
M

Milo

Guru
Well by the looks of it it the company doesn't sell spares so il have to wait until i get back to were i got it.
Im pretty sure its the bike shop fluffing up on the fitting wish i wasnt in london though.
Rather not do a 70 mile bike ride with only a front brake though should be fun.

Monst

plastic clip!!! it's the quick release lever. Not important unless you wish to change your wheel! All it does is move the brake shoes away from the rim a bit when you pull the lever up to allow you to get the wheel out. You push the lever down once the wheel is in the frame/fork.

Bit perplexed on how you managed to break it - unless the twat who put the bike together adjusted the cable whilst the lever was open instead of closed and then 'somebody' tried to close the lever.....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just re-adjust your cable and you brakes will work - if you have wide tyres then you might have a little difficulty getting the wheel in/out.

As said it's just the quick release - if it's under warranty take it back as these things shouldn't break - there is no stress unless it's been forced.

02GF74

Über Member
take it back to shop - london to wilts and back - is it worth it since you can get replacement caliper for less the the price of petrol or rail ticket.

call the shop, explained what ahppened and ask if you can post it.

otherwsie buy replacement.

how on earth did you break that?

RedBike

The brakes you've linked to are duel pivot not cantilever?

I assume the bit you need is just the quick release (as Monst pointed out). Just bolt the cable to the brake without it?

gavintc

Guru
Use the opportunity to buy yourself a better quality brake. the Tektro are not the best. As a word of warning, if you do go down this route, you will need ascertain whether the drop from the bolt to the pad is 49 or 57mm (ie short or long drop). It will make a difference.

OP
OP
M

Milo

Guru
Thanks for the replys ive maneged to bodge it together just will make sure i have some tools with me.
When i can afford it im going to get my self some shimano or campag brakes tektros just cheap tat.

Top Bottom