Annoying colleague rant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sadjack

Being serious, a colleague with an attitude like this can be a problem, especially if he has seniority.

If you are friendly, why not suggest a pint and when alone point out his behaviour. Clear the air.

Otherwise you could end up in a major confrontation in front of others that could be embarrassing for both of you.

Crankarm

Guru
What you see as friendship with this colleague seems to be one way and an illusion. He's a moron end of.

mark barker

Moodyman said:
In their minds, you only cycle to get somewhere if you're a hippy eco-warrior. They are baffled by utilitarian cycling.
I've had that a few times, along with the assumption I've been banned from driving or can't afford a car! Always makes me chuckle!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Them: "So you save fuel costs, road tax and the environment?"

Me: "Heck, I couldn't give a t8ss about the environment. I cycle because it's better for me"

Them: Silence.

Moodyman said:
Them: "So you save fuel costs, road tax and the environment?"

Me: "Heck, I couldn't give a t8ss about the environment. I cycle because it's better for me"

Them: Silence.

Bravo.

I do wish my bike produced it's own oil slick sometimes so I didn't get lumped in with the eco-warriors and tree-huggers in my colleague's eyes.

automatic_jon said:
Bravo.

I do wish my bike produced it's own oil slick sometimes so I didn't get lumped in with the eco-warriors and tree-huggers in my colleague's eyes.

Just buy one with an engine ... something like this 48 cylinder beastie:

48cylinder.jpg

:biggrin:

dondare

Über Member
Jezston said:
Whether the 'annoying' in that title refers to the colleague or the rant is up to you :biggrin:

I have a colleague who appears to be somewhat anti-cycling. I do not understand why so many people seem to be so anti cycling, of all things to have a particularly negative viewpoint of. Often has a sneering, pissed off looking expression on his face whenever I am seen in my gear or so match as mention anything relating to cycling in his presence.

Got a lift off him home the other day, mentions how ALL cyclists jump red lights ALL of the time. I mention TFL study that states only about 15% do, and thats in a city notorious for this, although I can understand his perception as it is a fairly high percentage, and it annoys me too. He doesn't seem to be happy with me pointing out these facts. I mention how it annoys me when drivers park in ASLs as a comparison. "Oh I always stop in them" he says, with utter indignance.

I'm starting to feel he's actually just a bit of a ****.

Ah, thats better. Thanks!

You're putting yourself at a bit of a disadvantage if you get a lift off him.
I can't imagine how a study shows that only 15% of cyclists in London jump lights. I'd guess 60 - 70% based on the proportion that pass me when I'm waiting. The further you go into London/Westminster the higher it seems to be. Just tell him that you always wait and a lot of other cyclists do, too.
It surprises me how many motorists respect ASLs but it doesn't bother me at all when they ignore them. (Although I don't like PTWs stopping in front of me because they have stinky exhausts which often point up.)
You could point out the number of ways that motorists break the law routinely; speed limits and mobile phones are the obvious ones but there are many others that motorists do not even know about. (Use of fog-lamps, for instance.) Next time you get a lift off him you could play "driving offence Bingo" and see how many boxes he ticks. Only that'd be the last time you did get a lift.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I have come across people with this sort of attitude. Quite often, the problem is that you're right. Having given a matter some thought, they realise this - but they're not big enough to admit it.

Unfortunately, you're unlikely to stop being right. So you'll need one of jonny's people-management tricks to resolve it.

Brains

Legendary Member
dondare said:
You're putting yourself at a bit of a disadvantage if you get a lift off him.
I can't imagine how a study shows that only 15% of cyclists in London jump lights. I'd guess 60 - 70% based on the proportion that pass me when I'm waiting. The further you go into London/Westminster the higher it seems to be. Just tell him that you always wait and a lot of other cyclists do, too.
It surprises me how many motorists respect ASLs but it doesn't bother me at all when they ignore them. (Although I don't like PTWs stopping in front of me because they have stinky exhausts which often point up.)
You could point out the number of ways that motorists break the law routinely; speed limits and mobile phones are the obvious ones but there are many others that motorists do not even know about. (Use of fog-lamps, for instance.) Next time you get a lift off him you could play "driving offence Bingo" and see how many boxes he ticks. Only that'd be the last time you did get a lift.

RLJing in London is seasonal, I'd assume other cities are the same.
The typical all year/most of the year commuter (the one with the mudguards, lighs and dirty hi-viz jacket and proper cycle shoes) tends not to RLJ. It's the fairweather June to September Summer crop of cyclists that do most of the RLJ'ing. I'd assume the 15% was drawn up between October and March, as that sounds about right to me.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I also notice a big difference in RLJ frequency depending on time of day: the rush hour cyclists are far more likely to wait at lights than the ones who get out later.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm lucky in that most of my immediate colleagues cycle and in the office in general there are 30%+ apparently so you would be an idiot to express your views to be anti-cycling and not expect a response back.

What about challenging him to come out cycling with you ... perhaps next week in Bike Week?

Top Bottom