Annoying what some other riders do..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bluepit

From their person annoyed they were delayed 2 seconds and also smashed into a cyclist whilst racing a taxi??

It's difficult to say how dumb you are but I'd say it's pretty high.
Why do we always find characters like the ones I am trying to illustrate above everywhere?

classic33

Leg End Member
Annoying thing number 4:
While riding my motorbike home a few months ago, a guy decided it was a very good idea to jump the red lights and make a run for it across the road. The only problem was that, as the lights had just opened for me, I went for it, just to be faster than the taxi to my right. Unfortunately, I only saw this cyclist(?) after I had already started, and even though I braked hard, we still collided, albeit at a very low speed. He and is push bike were OK. My bike was on the floor, and my gear selector was bent, which made it tricky to ride home afterwards. The question again is why? Why do you do this? Do you want to die? Please stop! Respect the traffic lights and signals, that's what they're there for. That is it so far.. but that's quite enough..
Why didn't you respect the traffic lights?

Green does not mean go, you may go if it's safe to do so, not go now!

Were you at the ASL by any chance, before you collided with another road vehicle from behind?

Why do we always find characters like the ones I am trying to illustrate above everywhere?
Let me spell it out. I do not race like you. I do t get upset being delayed 2 seconds like you. I do not, when driving, race other cars when there's potential to smash into people.

You are impatient, a bully and a danger on the road. I suggest you temper that before you do any serious damage to someone.

OP
OP
B

bluepit

Why didn't you respect the traffic lights?

Green does not mean go, you may go if it's safe to do so, not go now!

Were you at the ASL by any chance, before you collided with another road vehicle from behind?
I stopped at the lights, next to the curb to the left of a taxi. The lights went green for me, I did not see anything, so I went.. It all looked pretty safe at first.. Until he appeared out of nowhere from the right hand side, crossing from the other side of the A13 road (2 lanes in each direction). No other vehicle was involved. It was not serious, but we still collided..

classic33

Leg End Member
I stopped at the lights, next to the curb to the left of a taxi. The lights went green for me, I did not see anything, so I went.. It all looked pretty safe at first.. Until he appeared out of nowhere from the right hand side, crossing from the other side of the A13 road (2 lanes in each direction). No other vehicle was involved. It was not serious, but we still collided..
A bicycle is a road vehicle, legally.

From your post you went when the lights changed to green, "you went for it, just to be faster than the taxi to my right". Your attention was elsewhere, not the road in front of you.

Edited
"you went for it, just go be faster than the taxi to my right".
to read
"you went for it, just to be faster than the taxi to my right".

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
some other cyclist arrives and stops inches next to you, or just ahead of you and ahead of where they should have stopped in the first place. I would not mind greatly if they were able to start pedalling quickly and get out of my way, but do they do that? No!, they make you go around them. Why? That's rude! I wish people stopped doing that..
Yeah, it's just thoughtlessness. Sometimes I say something and sometimes they apologise. Sometimes they get the hump. Sometimes I don't say anything.

Did he acknowledge my advise? no, he just laughed. You know what, I don't need to give advise or be nice to people, I can just continue minding my own business.. And I think that is just what I'm going to do.
Good move. Unsolicited advice is sometimes right and sometimes wrong, but rarely welcomed. After all, would you trust a random stranger for training advice?

From your post you went when the lights changed to green, "you went for it, just go be faster than the taxi to my right". Your attention was elsewhere, not the road in front of you.
Yeah, green isn't a start light for racing and poor observation to boot. Bang out of order, regardless of the sins of others.

Why? It costs you nothing. Treat it as a compliment to your fitness and be happy you can give a fellow cyclist a helping hand.
Even better, it actually helps you get an aerodynamic benefit too. If they're dangerously close behind you, then maybe coast to a stop until they pass, but otherwise, just ride and if you want to register your objection, wait until they sprint past you and cheer them on with "Yeees! Go on, Goober! Go on!" which has the benefit of anyone nearby maybe thinking their nickname is Goober or whatever you pick.

First off, welcome to cyclechat....

in annoying thing number 2 you say, He became abusive, and said that I should "watch and learn.. " "Excusez moi. Me learn from you?" I said,

in annoying thing number 3 you said
maybe give them some advice, and they laugh it off, like they know what they're doing and you should mind your own business..

you cant have it both ways

As already said it seems to me that you need to relax a little more and learn to enjoy your cycling , ignoring dickheads, because you will find them wherever you look , in all walks of life

in annoying thing number 2 you say, He became abusive, and said that I should "watch and learn.. " "Excusez moi. Me learn from you?" I said,

maybe give them some advice, and they laugh it off, like they know what they're doing and you should mind your own business..

As already said it seems to me that you need to relax a little more and learn to enjoy your cycling , ignoring dickheads, because you will find them wherever you look , in all walks of life
Quite, even on Internet forums ( not a dig at you BTW:thumbsup:)

OP
OP
B

bluepit

Yes, that seems to be the case, you're absolutely right.

The thing about giving advice to another cyclist is interesting as well. I find that the best way to deal with this, is don't, unless someone asks you directly. It's better to go down the 'actions speak louder than words' route. For example, last weekend I was riding up in the Surrey Hills, and I passed a couple of guys who looked like they were having a hard time on Leith Hill. I made a mental note of what they were doing, and their bikes, and why they were probably finding it harder than they should, but said nothing and carried on to the top of the hill, before a brief stop. The 'strugglers' appeared as I was about to depart, and came over to me. One of them asked what set up I was using on my bike, so I told him, the other one asked for my opinion as to if there was anything that he could do or change to make the hills easier. I gave him my opinion, about how I would set the bike up, to make it easier, and his mate agreed, and pointed out, that what I'd said should help, is what he'd told his mate the previous day. That's a nice way to do it, just telling someone that they've set their bike up wrong, or their doing something wrong, without backing it up is just going to irritate most people.

Top Bottom