Another attempt at getting a winter bike that meets my needs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I have a couple of bikes that might (almost) fit the bill.

1. Kinesis Pro6
I had the frame built up to my spec and it takes full guards and has discs. My bike has mechanical discs as hydraulic was only available with Di2 when I bought it and I had a 105 gruppo I wanted to use as much as possible. Should be possible to get one for around the money you are looking at. My spec is about 10.5kgs, but that includes guards and a rack which adds to the weight. It is a cross frame, so possibly a little sturdier than a standard road frame.

2. Cannondale CAAD12
All going to plan, I'll be getting the Dura Ace disc version next week, they supposedly on Monday. I am quite excited.
This has hydraulic discs and a number of dura ace components and what appears to be a decent set of hoops too. It comes with 25mm tyres too. It would blow the budget you have mentioned as list is £2.5k, but there is a 105 or Ultegra version, which might better fit cost requirements.
The only are where this doesn't fit the above requirements is the lack of eyelets for guards. I have bought a raceblades to use, so hope they will be good after fitting and fettling.
I bought this as I wanted a lighter winter bike, faster than the commuter (Kinesis), but less expensive than the summer steed. Discs for winter were also attractive.

:bicycle::hyper:
Love that bike.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks. I do consider it rocket science to order all the parts and build a bike! Which is why Kinesis is not high on my list. The Cannondale option is not great because it involves strapping on Race Blades which of course I could do with pretty much any bike/

I am going to call Rose shortly

Andrew_P

In between here and there
When I spoke to Rose they told me none of their disc bikes had mudguards.

I have run a bike through winter used daily with Raceblade Longs which did a reasonable job of keeping me dry the bike still got in shoot order and wheels mullered and they were a bit of a pain if you had to change a tube. Plus only really lasted 3-5 months before they broke at the calliper mounts.

For me like Jay full mudguards are the only sensible option with discs for regular winter use. If I was just going out weekend in the winter I would stick with raceblades. When you have a shoot week of weather I was spending most of Sunday sorting out the bike, cleaning new pads and then polishing it. Dropping forks out to get the shoot out and greasing until Monday evening then it is a wreck again!

Personally I would give CX bikes a wide berth they are not the jack of all trades that they look like will be.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I do consider it rocket science to order all the parts and build a bike! Which is why Kinesis is not high on my list. The Cannondale option is not great because it involves strapping on Race Blades which of course I could do with pretty much any bike/

I am going to call Rose shortly
I'm sure a kinesis dealer such as Sigms could spec and build you a bike

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
When I spoke to Rose they told me none of their disc bikes had mudguards.

I have run a bike through winter used daily with Raceblade Longs which did a reasonable job of keeping me dry the bike still got in shoot order and wheels mullered and they were a bit of a pain if you had to change a tube. Plus only really lasted 3-5 months before they broke at the calliper mounts.

For me like Jay full mudguards are the only sensible option with discs for regular winter use. If I was just going out weekend in the winter I would stick with raceblades. When you have a shoot week of weather I was spending most of Sunday sorting out the bike, cleaning new pads and then polishing it. Dropping forks out to get the shoot out and greasing until Monday evening then it is a wreck again!

Personally I would give CX bikes a wide berth they are not the jack of all trades that they look like will be.
The Rose CX bikes are sold with an add on package of mudguards so things might have changed....

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I'm sure a kinesis dealer such as Sigms could spec and build you a bike
I assume you mean Sigma? I called them Saturday and then emailed the detailed spec. No news. Based on many LBSs I won't be surprised to hear nothing

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Just seen that Ribble now do a model called the CR3 which ticks all my boxes. Pricier than alu alternatives, but does what i want. Anyone got any views?

vickster

Legendary Member
I assume you mean Sigma? I called them Saturday and then emailed the detailed spec. No news. Based on many LBSs I won't be surprised to hear nothing
Phone them on a weekday when they are less busy and staff are more able to talk. I wouldn't bother with email

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Bought mine direct from ican cycles in china....its the same frame as its an open mould

I paid 322 for the frame, forks and headset plus 51 import duties

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK, will keep this brief. Yesterday Canyon UK on phone said bike was ready to send and would be out this week, then would take 7-10 days. I had emailed (cc to CEO) saying if nothing heard I would cancel by noon today. Nothing heard so I ordered the Ribble CR3. I then emailed Canyon to cancel, and called to follow up. "Oh it has just been sent out and will be with you tomorrow". I also have had emails from the CEOs PA saying it would go out soon

I have told them I will refuse it and don't want it now. If they simply could have told me this morning they would have had a sale

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Let me know all about it when it arrives

as I'm considering replacing my (blue aluminium) 'winter' Ribble with either the 'Sportive 365', or perhaps, now it's available, the CR3

Top Bottom