Another attempt at getting a winter bike that meets my needs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Ok back to the drawing board. Canyon still cannot confirm when my Inflite 9.0s will be ready...have not cancelled but am having serious look at alternatives

So here is the detailed list of my requirements

• Lightweight road bike - alloy or carbon
  • Size will be medium/54 depending on brand
  • must take FULL mudguards not interested in raceblades etc
  • approx 25mm tyres (23-28 ok)
  • Shimano kit (Tiagra/105/Ultegra)
  • Hydraulic discs (not cable)
  • Regular Q/R so can use on turbo
  • budget approx £1000 but a bit flexible. Even very flexible
PS, not interested in retro steel, or anything heavy.

U

User33236

What do you personally regard as 'heavy'.

I have a Fuji Sportif 1.1 LE (Evans exclusive version currently at £1100) that ticks most of your boxes but comes in at a tad over 10kg is stock spec.

I suspect you will find it tough to get hydraulic discs and a significanlty lighter bike at the £1k mark.

EDIT: Tredz have the Cube Attain SL Disc Road Bike - 2016 at £1199. Weighs 9.3kg. Possibly mudguards would be your compromise. (And again not that light.)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-af-road-bike-ultegra-id_8331274.html

image.jpeg

a medium can be had on special offer for 900 quid right now. Admittedly no disc brakes, but the Ultegra brakes stop you like you've hit something, even in rubbish weather.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Pinnacle Arkose 4 from Evans? £1,060 and 9.7kg. Part 105 kit and Shimano hydraulic brakes. I have an older Arkose 3 (which has mechanical BB7s) as my general commuter and have been very pleased with it.

mattobrien

Guru
I have a couple of bikes that might (almost) fit the bill.

1. Kinesis Pro6
I had the frame built up to my spec and it takes full guards and has discs. My bike has mechanical discs as hydraulic was only available with Di2 when I bought it and I had a 105 gruppo I wanted to use as much as possible. Should be possible to get one for around the money you are looking at. My spec is about 10.5kgs, but that includes guards and a rack which adds to the weight. It is a cross frame, so possibly a little sturdier than a standard road frame.

2. Cannondale CAAD12
All going to plan, I'll be getting the Dura Ace disc version next week, they supposedly on Monday. I am quite excited.
This has hydraulic discs and a number of dura ace components and what appears to be a decent set of hoops too. It comes with 25mm tyres too. It would blow the budget you have mentioned as list is £2.5k, but there is a 105 or Ultegra version, which might better fit cost requirements.
The only are where this doesn't fit the above requirements is the lack of eyelets for guards. I have bought a raceblades to use, so hope they will be good after fitting and fettling.
I bought this as I wanted a lighter winter bike, faster than the commuter (Kinesis), but less expensive than the summer steed. Discs for winter were also attractive.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
The Pinnacle looks ok but is more of an all terrain bike. Also fitting the front mudguard looks a little fiddly when I read the Q&A. Additiionally if I replace the huge tyres with something like a 25 it might have a big gap between tyre and guard

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I have a couple of bikes that might (almost) fit the bill.

1. Kinesis Pro6
I had the frame built up to my spec and it takes full guards and has discs. My bike has mechanical discs as hydraulic was only available with Di2 when I bought it and I had a 105 gruppo I wanted to use as much as possible. Should be possible to get one for around the money you are looking at. My spec is about 10.5kgs, but that includes guards and a rack which adds to the weight. It is a cross frame, so possibly a little sturdier than a standard road frame.

2. Cannondale CAAD12
All going to plan, I'll be getting the Dura Ace disc version next week, they supposedly on Monday. I am quite excited.
This has hydraulic discs and a number of dura ace components and what appears to be a decent set of hoops too. It comes with 25mm tyres too. It would blow the budget you have mentioned as list is £2.5k, but there is a 105 or Ultegra version, which might better fit cost requirements.
The only are where this doesn't fit the above requirements is the lack of eyelets for guards. I have bought a raceblades to use, so hope they will be good after fitting and fettling.
I bought this as I wanted a lighter winter bike, faster than the commuter (Kinesis), but less expensive than the summer steed. Discs for winter were also attractive.
Thanks I like the look of Kinesis, but to be frank they seem to be a frames only place, and I cannot be stuffed with imagining what my bike might look like and hoping it all works out ok

Anything that involves bungeeing on Raceblades immediately opens me to using any road bike on the market, and I want full guards

Top Bottom