Another b****y car insurance thread.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Dave7, 1 Nov 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

Car insurance up this week.
    Quote from my present insurers.........(Hastings)........£325.00
    Went online with normal comparison sites and..... who came out best at £250 ???............Hastings.
    Phoned them up and yes, "we will match that quote"..........job done with £75 saving.
    I know they try it on. I know lots of people fall for it. But WHY do they not just say.......this is our best quote and save us hours of trawling through comparison sites.
    GRRRHHH Gnash.
    Rant over.

2. Custom24

Custom24 Über Member

Because most don't bother. But....
    When you have found a quote, it's often the same amount of effort to take the new policy and phone to cancel rather than haggle. That's what I do.

3. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

LV letter said I had been with them a long time and that I may get it cheaper elsewhere.

4. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Just bin the car.............

mjr and Drago like this.
  5. Dan B

Dan B Disengaged member

srw knows the numbers better than I do, but I think the answer is that they would not be profitable if they offered everyone the first year rate, and rely on the customers who just take the renewal quote to subsidise the price-sensitive customers such as you.

If they offered the first year at a realistic price? Well, they could do that, but I suspect the answer is that then they'd have no customers at all

bozmandb9 and mjr like this.
  6. Drago

Drago Guru

Think yourself lucky you don't pay Wayne Looney's car insurance.

7. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

So what's the end game here? We eventually reach a point where almost everyone is churning through the market, changing provider each year and inflicting loads of admin costs on the insurers plus referral fees to the comparison sites and then what? It just ends up costing everyone more to cover those costs because the market is essentially broken? Or will some insurers start offering multi-year fixed deals? Or could some insurers go broke because too large a proportion of their clients are paying introductory rates? @srw? Anyone?

8. mjr

Liverpool Victoria used to be a fairly well-behaved mutual but now they're just doing the same shoot as everyone else. :sad:

9. Threevok

Threevok Four Sprung Pork Technik

Go Compare !!!!!! :whistle:

10. mjr

Drago and Threevok like this.
  11. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Well done, you saved £75 with very little work.

12. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

I think they were fair saying that I could get it cheaper, also when I did an online quite it came out the same. They also seemed to handle a recent claim very well.

13. Until very recently I never used to bother with changing, I had a "probably too much hassle" or a "I'm a loyal customer" approach; last month I decided to change car insurers and this week decided to change power supplier - total saving from these 2 changes has been almost £800 p.a.

14. I have a great collection of Meerkats and am now enjoying two for one cinema. A just reward for a bit of internet trawling.

Drago likes this.
  15. PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270 Veteran

Hastings are a broker not an insurer. The renewal tends to be a renewal that comes to them via your actual insurer. Generating a new quote may mean a deal is better with another provider and thus is offered to you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice