Another bike light question.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
So I commute on a mostly unlit bike path. Bridgewater way through Trafford. On this section I have my lezyne 400 on full blast and need it to see in front of me. Every few minutes there will be an oncoming bike. Had a couple of comments that it is too bright.

Trouble is the switch is not that easy to momentarily turn down with gloved hand. I sometimes try covering it partially which is perhaps the best approach but I still don't like it because it makes my visibility very poor just when I need it really (when passing someone on dark canal path) and means I am also riding one handed as we pass in close proximity.

What's the best solution? is this light too bright? but I feel anything less would be dangerous for me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Angle it down? Or just put your hand over the light and slow down if there's someone coming, their light should light your way?

Katherine

Guru
Angle it down? Or just put your hand over the light and slow down if there's someone coming, their light should light your way?

This ^
You need the bright light but keep it angled down to the floor.
Have another less bright light so that when you put your hand over it to not blind people passing the other way , you can still see.

My son uses part of the Bridgewater way on his commute and hates being blinded by other people's lights.
He angles his to the floor.
The ones on helmets are the worst because they shine right in your face.

Thank you for being aware and considerate.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This is going to be a thread full of TMNs to Vickster... angle it down as much as is necessary. Think of it as dipped and full beam on a car. You can always knock the light back up when there's no one for you to dazzle.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Lights with a round beam will always have a lot of spill even when angled down. Those with the German-pattern beam (Ixon IQ etc) have a sharp cutoff and shouldn't dazzle. However, they're not ideal for avoiding overhanging branches and reading signposts.

Reactions: mjr

sleuthey

Legendary Member
What I do is effectively combine the advice if Vickster and Kathrine. I have a cheap light pointing forward on the right hand side of handlebar that does not produce a beam and brighter light pointing down on the left hand side.

I would say your more likely to collide if you rely on covering your light with your hand for multiple reasons.

Here's what I do- bright Lezyne 700 for use on unlit parts of canal path, AND an el cheapo light on at the same time.

When approaching oncoming people I always slow down, and cover the bright light with hand. We are only talking seconds. I can still see far enough in front with the el cheapo light at the slow speed until we have past. There is no problem for either party.

When I reach the road I switch the Lezyne light off as no further need.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
cheers....will get a cheapo second light and angle the bright one down. Rubber strap on lezyne so maybe fit it on a slightly looser notch so I can dip it down and pull it up. Trial and error I suppose.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My light has a swivel mount with notches, which allows you to point it momentarily at the side of the road.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lights with a round beam will always have a lot of spill even when angled down. Those with the German-pattern beam (Ixon IQ etc) have a sharp cutoff and shouldn't dazzle. However, they're not ideal for avoiding overhanging branches and reading signposts.
There is a little bit of spill upwards, which is easily enough for reading reflective signs and just about enough for seeing most branches.

If you don't want to pay for the top brands like BuM, then Axa and even Lidl do lights with a similar road-facing pattern. They really do rock if you're used to the wide-beam stuff that the likes of Cateye (who do make G for German versions of some lights) and Lezyne keep flogging to clueless Brits.

Alan O

Über Member
I rode in the dark for the first time this year yesterday evening. As has been suggested, my standard setup has always been to have two lights. One is set to maximum brightness (not sure what that is, but it's far less than many) and is pointed quite sharply downwards to point not far in front of my wheel, while the other is set to minimum brightness and is pointing further ahead (though still downwards).

Even like that, it's still surprising how much upwards light there is, as evidenced by reflections from right up to the top of reflective road signs.

As I'm likely to be out in the dark more this winter, I'm going to investigate the more directional German-style lights.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom