Another champion lost to us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

Horrible news and very sad.
He was a spectular rider. It was wonderful to see someone ride SO fast! In last years Scottish 10, on a lumpy course, he was head, shoulders and most of a torso above everyone else.
RIP

Tetedelacourse

Really bad news. Condolences to his wife and lasses.

Crackle I've cycled that route a few times and you're right the 8 or so miles south from Fort William are not good. Winding and slim in parts. But mainly because car drivers up there don't know how to deal properly with a cyclist. Certainly not with one moving at speed as Jason undoubtedly was.

Awful.

Commuter

Tragic news, so so unnecessary too.
My thoughts are with his wife and kids at this terrible time.

I had the pleasure of riding in various events Jason rode in, there was always a buzz when he was riding, wondering how much he'd win by, watching him in action. He passed me on the road during a ten, couldn't believe how fast he went by, I think he recorded a short 19 that night.

And now this happens, such an awful waste of a life and a very rare talent.

RIP big man.

Tetedelacourse said:
Really bad news. Condolences to his wife and lasses.

Crackle I've cycled that route a few times and you're right the 8 or so miles south from Fort William are not good. Winding and slim in parts. But mainly because car drivers up there don't know how to deal properly with a cyclist. Certainly not with one moving at speed as Jason undoubtedly was.

Awful.

From the news report I just read on the BBC it didn't happen there but North of Fort William around Carrs Corner where there are a couple of industrial estates. Best guess is he was on his way back in and the van turned across him from the opposite carriageway to go into the industrial estate back to the council depot. I can't quite remember the detailed layout there even though I go past often, so that's just a guess. Probably didn't see him or misjudged his speed. It must've been bad as the hospital where he died of his injuries is just a few minutes away He was airlifted to Glasgow: Really sad.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

For those that don't know, Jason was a carer to one of his daughters who required full-time care due to an illness. He fitted his cycling in around that role. The Braveheart Cycling Fund has already set up a memorial fund with all donations going to Jason's family.

See http://www.braveheartfund.com/home.asp

Link to the memorial fund is on the left of the page - Paypal.

papercorn2000

The braveheart website (see wafflycat's posts) is to be used as an online book of condolences. Please register and sign. Ta

trio25

Über Member
This is very sad, something like this really hits home. Just wish it would make more drivers think.

Steel Legs

Words are not enough!

Makes me so angry - even angrier when I revisit Matthew Parris garbage. I sure hope that he feels very very ashamed in the light of this news.

Top Bottom