Another creaking question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi All,
bit of help please.
3 month old bike, done about 1000 miles already.
The cranks have developed quite a bad creak when putting down some power.
It's not the pedals (spd), have taken them off, fitted normal pedals, creak still there. Tightened both cranks and the 3 chainset bolts, it's still there.
When I trackstand on the bike and put the pedals level on the horizontal,
creak appears when I put push down on either pedal.
Could it be the bottom bracket?
So any help appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Ian.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Ian,

Could be one of two things (which I recently had):

1. The bottom bracket cups aren't as tight as they could be, making the BB creak against the frame. Remove the BB, clean it and the inside of the frame (as there's likely to have been water and muck getting in if the cups weren't tight), grease the threads and re-install.

2. The creaking is the metal-against-metal of the cranks where they fit onto the axles / splines (or whatever they're called). Pull the cranks off and grease up the holes in them and the bits of the axle that they fit onto. Refit and tighten up again as normal.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK, it's sorted, Goo Mason was spot on, the bottom bracket was a tiny bit loose, so they undid, greased up, tightend, no creak, Jobs a goodun! Thanks all.

TimC

This is an interesting post - I have a similar problem and I'm hoping to tackle it myself... I've heard that PTFE tape is worth trying - is this a good idea?

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I now know for next time. Will try my self if happens again. No ptfe needed. Just cleaned the threads, greased and tightened up. Just need the tools to do it.

Top Bottom