Another cyclist dead in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
RIP condolences to family and friends
14 dead this year

mustang1

Guru
Just read about this a few minutes ago. Traumatic time for the family who has to receive the news from police.

Makes me wanna swear, but what will that do. Its crap news for the family. My condolences to them.

subaqua

What’s the point
Just read about this a few minutes ago. Traumatic time for the family who has to receive the news from police.

Makes me wanna swear, but what will that do. Its crap news for the family. My condolences to them.

its crap news for all involved . witnesses , the driver.

I am not going to speculate but read the comments lower down from a witness .

It looks like the same issue - travelling together and in the inside as one turns. Really sad and needless.

I feel we need to launch a big campaign on just this alone for the cycling community. I am sure we can avoid such incidents if we can get the message across.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It looks like the same issue - travelling together and in the inside as one turns. Really sad and needless.

I feel we need to launch a big campaign on just this alone for the cycling community. I am sure we can avoid such incidents if we can get the message across.
How can the cycle community stop this?

mustang1

Guru
its crap news for all involved . witnesses , the driver.

I am not going to speculate but read the comments lower down from a witness .
I see. I didn't read the article in The Standard, but the one at another cycling website. They did not mention the cyclist was in the inside line of the truck. Yes you're right, sad all round.

If it is the way the witness says, then, well, being on the inside line of any vehicle at a junction is not the right place to be for a vulnerable road user.

When UCL scientist Dr Katharine Giles died in a similar situation in August, I sort of kept an eye at junctions and stops. Most cyclists either made their way to the ASL or kept behind the lorries and HGVs. However a small niumber went alongside these vehicles not realising the danger. I don't think they understand the concept of blind spots.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When UCL scientist Dr Katharine Giles died in a similar situation in August, I sort of kept an eye at junctions and stops. Most cyclists either made their way to the ASL or kept behind the lorries and HGVs. However a small niumber went alongside these vehicles not realising the danger. I don't think they understand the concept of blind spots.
And if the lorry/large vehicle comes from behind?

The deaths caused by HGVs are wildly disproportionate to their actual numbers. Therefore, we must assume that cyclists are MORE careless around HGVs than other vehicles. What else could explain it?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It depends which way it was though. Driver putting themself outside cyclist and turning could be addressed with a campaign calling for better driver education and/or punishment where warranted. Cyclist putting them self inside lorry can be addressed by us educating people we see doing it etc.
Agreed that more education is needed, not just of cyclists as you say, but both sides.

Top Bottom