1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Cyclist Down on the A82.

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Slick, 20 Dec 2016.

Tags:
  1. Slick

Slick Über Member

2. flake99please

flake99please Über Member

I was gobsmacked by a work colleague who started to sing 'another one bites the dust' as this came on the local news. :angry:

3. Brandane

Brandane DunBrowzin,CC..

Your work colleague should have been the one to be "gob-smacked"..............

[​IMG]

I have to say though, the A82 is one of several dual carriageways which I would avoid cycling on. I know we SHOULD be able to cycle on them without coming to harm, but the plain fact is that putting your life on the line by depending on the concentration and ability of other people to be able to drive properly makes it just too risky IMHO.. Others on my no-go list include the A8 near Langbank, A9 for it's entire length, A90 likewise, A8 between the two M8 sections in Glasgow, A78 near Irvine, A92 in Fife, and several others which are basically motorways in all but classification. That's not to say that I feel entirely safe on other roads; they all carry differing degrees of risk. It's not good, but it's what we have to accept until these pillocks learn to drive properly.

RIP the victim, and condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2016
  4. Slick

Slick Über Member

Just beggars belief.

Brandane and Mrs M like this.
  5. r04DiE

r04DiE Über Member

I'll bet he's got a tiny, withered, floppy, 3" penis.

6. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

I very much agree with all that, some roads are just not worth the risk even if we are entitled. I will only venture on to quiet "A" roads if I absolutely have to and then it is with great reluctance. I have spent far too much of my time on the road and seen too many dangerous idiots to trust anyone in any type of vehicle.

And yes the attitude towards cyclists from some people is just shocking, otherwise decent folk who seem amused at cyclist getting injured or killed.

Brandane likes this.
  7. Liz Su

Liz Su Senior Member

Next time your at work making the drinks, I would ring the dish cloth out directly into his drink.

L Q and r04DiE like this.
  8. dim

dim Guest

with the introduction of video gadgets such as the the fly 6 and fly 12 and gopro, drivers (especially taxi drivers), are becoming a lot more nervous when they approach cyclists

as these become more popular amongst cyclists, car drivers will become more cautious with cyclists

a recent day trip to London, I was amazed at the number of cyclists who had gopros's attached to their helmets

9. Slick

Slick Über Member

I still think some of the YouTube posters make a meal of certain situations, but I'm starting to think, a camera isn't such a bad idea after all.

Brandane likes this.
  10. Brandane

Brandane DunBrowzin,CC..

I'm beginning to think so too. I've no wish to watch any re-runs of my rides on YT, but as @dim says, the deterrent effect on drivers alone makes them worthwhile.

Slick likes this.
  11. oldwheels

oldwheels Senior Member

Both these incidents seem to be in approximately the same section of roadway. I drove both ways on this road today and the various slip roads could make it a very dodgy area.

12. GGJ

GGJ Über Member

Fast section of road, motorists think it's a motorway

13. Slick

Slick Über Member

Still not exactly sure what happened on the most recent one, but with the first one the guy apparently hit some sort of obstacle or pot hole and fell into the carriageway from that woefully inadequate stretch of cycle track.

14. GGJ

GGJ Über Member

Another cyclist down in Glasgow today, my mate who was hit side on by a nurse as she turned right off main road and didn't see him. He's lying in hospital waiting to see if the surgeon is going to operate on his back tomorrow

15. Slick

Slick Über Member

Sorry to hear that @GGJ. Not good at any time but especially traumatic to be getting assessed for surgery on Christmas Eve. I hope your mate makes a speedy recovery.

GGJ and Brandane like this.