Another cyclist down this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stoptherock

stoptherock

http://www.londonfgss.com/member5917.html

POLICE are appealing for witnesses and information following a fatal collision this morning (Wednesday) in Whitechapel.

A lorry was in collision with a cyclist at the junction of Whitechapel Road and Vallance Road around 6.35am.

The 26-year-old woman was taken to Royal London Hospital but was later pronounced dead.

Police say they know the woman's identity and are in the process of informing all relevant next of kin.

The driver of the lorry was uninjured.

Both the vehicle and the cyclist were travelling south down Vallance Road immediately prior to the collision.

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.u...A27%3A22%3A833

BigSteev

Relatives have started a petition to have the junction redesigned (which it seriously needs).

Please do your bit by signing here and spreading the word.

Thanks

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
stoptherock said:
POLICE are appealing for witnesses and information following a fatal collision this morning (Wednesday) in Whitechapel.

A lorry was in collision with a cyclist at the junction of Whitechapel Road and Vallance Road around 6.35am.

The 26-year-old woman was taken to Royal London Hospital but was later pronounced dead.

Police say they know the woman's identity and are in the process of informing all relevant next of kin.

The driver of the lorry was uninjured.

Both the vehicle and the cyclist were travelling south down Vallance Road immediately prior to the collision.

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.u...A27%3A22%3A833

Reassuring to know this.

Another sad story indeed. Clearly there is something badly wrong at this junction, how many more have to be killed or injured before something is done.

bad boy

Über Member
spot on Hackbike, I work for a Local Authority Newham actually and all they do is tick a box by painting a few lines in the gutter of a road and call it a cycle lane, and just for the fun of it they also extend all other road markings and drain covers in there too.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ah this is so sad another person killed -cycle down that road as part of my commute to and from work and echoing what others say it's design is so unsafe.

RIP

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have come out of Vallance Road a couple of times and been along the Whitechaple Road dozens of times. What exactly is wrong with this junction. It looks no more unsafe than hundreds of others ?

Alan Whicker

mr_cellophane said:
I have come out of Vallance Road a couple of times and been along the Whitechaple Road dozens of times. What exactly is wrong with this junction. It looks no more unsafe than hundreds of others ?

I'm not saying it was a factor in this tragic accident, but it's a hotspot for Red Light Jumping - there always seems to be at least a couple of cars coming from Vallance road that sneak through on red. I'm always very wary indeed when coming from the direction of Mile End, and even more so coming from Aldgate. Traffic seems to come from all points at once. To me it has more of a feel of a roundabout than a junction. There are also plenty of distractions, from pedestrians to buses to cyclists - and even the air ambulance taking off from the roof of the hospital, and obviously you need to watch out for ambulances. This is the spot where a National Express coach (don't even get me started on them) demolished the curry house that used to be in front of the chemists by the junction. It's one of those places you need 360 degree vision.

Tynan

Veteran
either way, people must learn to take a wide if not primary position when approaching a left turning when in London traffic

Top Bottom