Another cyclist down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

A report in our local paper of a gentleman of 70 who was in an accident involving a Mercedes van in Houblons Hill, Epping a few weeks ago, and died as a result of the accident. Naturally the paper reported the usual that the cyclist was in collision with the van. Obviously the van could never have been in collision with the cyclist.

I have had three very nasty overtakes in the last week, two by buses from the same company (complaint made) and one by a very long fast moving low loader who did a close overtake and a very early cut back into the nearside. I have to admit to becoming very nervous of late, to the extent I am wondering if it is time to hang up my helmet for good.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Keep at it for 2 reasons: 1 the chances of actually being hit are slim, and 2 your being there is an incentive to other cyclists and potential cyclists.

sammollyrosypads

here here keep cycling chum soon these ignorant citizens will get the message...highway code priority road
1 emergency vehicles
2 pedestrians
3 cyclists
4 psv and ooopps taxis
5 road tax paying one person per short journey none car sharing road owner

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

I emailed the bus company concerned last night. No abuse, just explaining what was happening and asking if they could remind their drivers to take care around cyclists.

I haven't heard back from the company and I don't know if it is coincidental but I was passed by three of their buses this morning and every overtake was text book perfect!!

BSRU

A Human Being
chillyuk said:
I have to admit to becoming very nervous of late, to the extent I am wondering if it is time to hang up my helmet for good.

Even after witnessing so bad incidents, I could not give up, it's too much fun and I feel better for it.

Crankarm

Guru
downfader said:
Keep at it for 2 reasons: 1 the chances of actually being hit are slim, and 2 your being there is an incentive to other cyclists and potential cyclists.

Not everyone cycles in your manor. Some areas seem to breed a-holes whose sole mission is to try to take down cyclists. Unfortunate if you are a cyclist in such an area. At the end of the day it's not much help being dead leaving your family without a dad or mum, son, brother, daughter or sister. If cycling is genuinely becoming dangerous for you, you have to weigh up whether it is worth continuing. I just decided that after decades of cycling, continuing to cycle commute on roads, was going to end up with me being killed. So I stopped. It's been great. So much less stress and gone is the worry of meeting the grim reaper about 500 times a day.

I shall be cycling this sunday from 3 to 4:30pm on quiet unclassified country roads.

RIP the old guy taken out by the van.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
why did you buy an expensive helmet/head cam?

So he can show us his lovely legs

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crankarm said:
If you think cycling is so safe ...... why did you buy an expensive helmet/head cam :biggrin:?

I'm not the one who's chickened out of riding here, mate. Do you really think I expect the camera to prevent someone crashing into me?

I like to campaign against the very intimidation that caused you to give up cycling to work, but that's only one of many reasons I have for filming.

Helly79

chillyuk said:
I emailed the bus company concerned last night. No abuse, just explaining what was happening and asking if they could remind their drivers to take care around cyclists.

I haven't heard back from the company and I don't know if it is coincidental but I was passed by three of their buses this morning and every overtake was text book perfect!!

Well thats great I hope they took some notice :smile:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Crankarm said:
Not everyone cycles in your manor. Some areas seem to breed a-holes whose sole mission is to try to take down cyclists. Unfortunate if you are a cyclist in such an area. At the end of the day it's not much help being dead leaving your family without a dad or mum, son, brother, daughter or sister. If cycling is genuinely becoming dangerous for you, you have to weigh up whether it is worth continuing. I just decided that after decades of cycling, continuing to cycle commute on roads, was going to end up with me being killed. So I stopped. It's been great. So much less stress and gone is the worry of meeting the grim reaper about 500 times a day.

I shall be cycling this sunday from 3 to 4:30pm on quiet unclassified country roads.

RIP the old guy taken out by the van.

Mate, you're missing the point. Southampton is full of Class A Royal-A***holes, its my and others mitigation of the risks and the skills we have learned that make it safer and encourage others to ride. People see regular faces they begin to realise theres a reason or two people keep at it.

Things dont seem to be getting worse according to the CTC today, they're getting better. Perhaps its just that we're more vocal about things we see or things we think.

shippers

chillyuk said:

e-mail them again and let them know.
People learn better from positive reinforcement than from bollockings.

Top Bottom