1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another cyclist fatality in Leeds

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by growingvegetables, 25 Dec 2016.

Tags:
  1. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Veteran

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Very sad. RIP

3. steve50

steve50 Disenchanted Member

I won't drive into Leeds much less cycle, the traffic and driving standards are horrendous at the best of times.

4. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

Terrible, thats 5 minutes from my house.
    I would advise people there to use the crossing and then get back on the bike at the other side of the road. Turning right from that roundabout is a death wish.
    That road in general has had loads of fatalities, a few years ago 2 young boys were killed outside the mormon church, whilst trying to cross over and they were on their bikes.

5. Bonus

Bonus Senior Member

6. cubey

cubey Well-Known Member

Roundabouts are such risky places for us cyclists.

Drago likes this.
  7. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

8. jefmcg

jefmcg Apparently I shouldn't use the default, "guru"

Note the newspaper said "close to" not on the roundabout. I'm a little concerned this thread seems to be victim blaming, when said victim may have even been trying to get off and push or heading to the crossing.

9. Bimble

Bimble Bimbling along ... Staff Member

I don't think anyone is looking to blame the 'victim' (the report doesn't give any detail about what happened) - I think it's just genuine concern and advice to be careful around that area from people who know it. :smile:

10. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Veteran

Afik, the gentleman was killed at the junction with Whitkirk Lane - @Reiver's street-view turned round 180 degrees. Looks relatively innocuous - until you ride it. Drivers thinking they're already on the dual carriageway 100 yards ahead. Or having come off the dual carriageway, thinking they're still on it. I've had numerous near misses on that stretch, frome every imaginable direction :sad:. Agree with @Liz Su - that whole stretch from Cross Gates station to the Skyliner, and the rab, is just plain nasty.

cubey likes this.
  11. DRM

DRM Senior Member

He would have been riding in that direction as I know he was going to Garforth.