Another cyclist killed by motorist on the phone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm not so sure, with ANPR they'd get pulled up quite quickly.
ANPR pings cars, not drivers, that's the problem. The car doesn't get banned, so it can't be flagged because the banned driver can, (for example), allow family members to drive them around. Some banned drivers just drive another car, boyfriend's, wife's, whoever.

See Katy Price for a good example of why driving bans only work on law abiding mugs, and why any one else will drive regardless. Stopped while banned? No problem, your punishment is only an extended ban, and you've got no intention of following that either.
Police have to witness/ stop you to find out that you're driving while banned. Unless you're a muppet then being stopped should be rare... I've been stopped once in about 30 years.

You can eventually get a custodial if you're caught repeatedly, but only eventually, and most lawyers will argue that a custodial will bring undue hardship, so it goes back to a ban. Again, see Katy Price for evidence of that.

Last edited:

Baldy

Über Member
I do hope not because that would send out an awful message of how to get a light sentence. (The collision was almost a year ago.)

Pleading your belly, was a ploy extensively use in the 18/19th centuries to escape the noose.

DRM

Guru
I suspect the pregnancy is a ploy to avoid prison, the baby should be removed and put up for adoption, as for people who drive when banned take the vehicle off them and crush it, no if's no but's, driving soon becomes very expensive, particularly if you've borrowed somebody's car, then 3 strikes and it's prison

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I suspect the pregnancy is a ploy to avoid prison, the baby should be removed and put up for adoption, as for people who drive when banned take the vehicle off them and crush it, no if's no but's, driving soon becomes very expensive, particularly if you've borrowed somebody's car, then 3 strikes and it's prison
Apologies in advance for appearing to be a Daily Heil reader, but I wouldn't even do three strikes. If you are banned and caught driving, the car you are driving is crushed and you face a mandatory jail sentence. End of.

DRM

Guru
And the man should be changed so that "use, cause or permit" regulations are strengthened - anyone allowing, causing or permitting a disqualified driver to use their car should face the same penalty as the driver.
I think you're absolutely spot on with that, it'll only take a couple of cases to get it through to their thick skulls about allowing others to use your car, and if the banned driver just borrows a car without the owners knowledge you can add TWOC to their criminal record/sentence as well for good measure with no if's or but's, as for lawyers like that Mr Loophole, he should be put in the stocks and pelted with those dog waste bags people leave dangling in trees

D

Deleted member 26715

Make it clear that if a driver is subsequently caught driving without a license, etc, there is a mandatory 20 year sentence (10 served for good behaviour). That should be a strong enough deterrent.
Yeah that'll work, just like the death sentence does in the places that still have it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suspect the pregnancy is a ploy to avoid prison,

Known in court circles as a tactical pregnancy.

The punter knows the gestation period of a court case is roughly the same as for a human.

Thus getting pregnant immediately after being nicked will ensure that come the evil day the woman will know she will either be heavily pregnant, about to give birth, or a recent mother.

All of which are handy cards to play to avoid or lessen the appropriate penalty.

Strong the victimhood is in this one Yoda.

Gender equality has a long way to go before it reaches court sentencing.

Funnily enough, I don't hear women's rights campaigners moaning about that.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
That shouldn't have any bearing on the sentence, but in the present world any excuse will get your term reduced.....unless you are a man.
You mean unlike all the usual "he's of previously sound character"; "it was his first offence"; "he'll lose his job is he can't drive" b'llcks?

Top Bottom