Another cyclist's death, another police failure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Soz for Daily Heil link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-accident-just-15-MINUTES-investigation.html

Robert Weatherby from nearby Chilham, who was driving his girlfriend Justine Staley to work, told the inquest that he pulled over onto a verge to avoid hitting Mr Jordan on a hill and dialled 999.

The distressing call, played in court and heard by MailOnline, featured the couple arguing over whether they hit the cyclist.

Switching between the operator and his girlfriend, Mr Weatherby said: 'He just completely lost control... No, he didn't touch us at all, we didn't hit him at all.'

Miss Staley is heard saying: 'The back end of the bike hit us', to which he replied: 'No it didn't, we didn't hit him at all. He came off and then we hit the bike, we went over the bike. That was what happened because he just absolutely lost it.'

'The recording of the rationale behind a number of decisions and actions has been shown to be unsatisfactory'

- Internal Kent Police report

She told the inquest Mr Jordan was cycling at high speed with a 'fixed' impression on his face, so may have been suffering a medical episode.

Police only listened to the 999 call for the first time more than a month later, and decided not to re-interview the driver or passenger.

"The back end of the bike hit us" what the hell?

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Just looking at the picture of the lane I fail to see how a car and a bike could pass each other without the bike being hit on attemp of passing

One of the reasons I wear a camera, having experienced bare faced lying by another motorist and police incompetence first hand. I hope his widow gets some justice.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The officer that belatedly looked at the car decided that there hadn't been a collision with the bike because the dent in the bonnet didn't match the shape of the handlebars.

but if the back end of the bike hit them, as the woman claimed in the recorded 999 call, it wouldn't match the handlebars would it.

and Kent Police said the investigation was carried out correctly, it was admin that was wrong!

albion

Guru
The boyfriend lied outright and Miss Stacy reacting was rightly terrified about 'Perverting the course of justice'.
But sadly again, the Police decide 'it is only a cyclist'.

The odds on that being correct do sound high.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm having difficulty understanding how you can have a dispute about whether someone's hit the rear of a bike and observe that the cyclist had a ''fixed'' expression on his face. Was Mr Jordan cycling with his head on the wrong way round?

albion

Guru
Just looking at the picture of the lane I fail to see how a car and a bike could pass each other without the bike being hit on attemp of passing

It really raises serious questions as to at what point did the cyclist 'lose it'. Seems to be it was a failed attempt to get out of the way of a fast oncoming vehicle.

That 'facial expression' sounds like it was maybe the terror of the moment.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm having difficulty understanding how you can have a dispute about whether someone's hit the rear of a bike and observe that the cyclist had a ''fixed'' expression on his face. Was Mr Jordan cycling with his head on the wrong way round?

There seems to be an assumption that the car was overtaking the cyclist, a bit of googling reveals:
The car was going uphill, and the cyclist downhill toward them

from a contemporary local newspaper report:

"The man in his 60s was riding down Long Hill in Old Wives Lees, near Canterbury, at around 9.05am on Thursday morning when the accident happened.

He was found by a couple in a black Toyota Aventis who were driving up the hill."

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/cyclist-dies-in-old-wives-lees-a69437/

Crankarm

Guru
The police are a f_cking disgrace. They are the major obstacle to dead cyclists and their next of kin receiving justice. Too many dangerous lying b_stard drivers are getting off. And the police's half ar$ed response - It's only a cyclist. End of.

They couldn't be ar$ed to trace the car or driver when I was hit and run and left for dead.

Top Bottom