Another daft Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My interpretation is that if you can't improve past a certain point through training it's probably due to a limiting genetic disposition. That's the only reason I can think of for my being stuck behind this laptop instead of being out on the Grande Boucle Feminin!
Did you start intensive training at 8. Did you have a perfect diet. Do you take state of the art suppliments. Do you have a team of doctors monitoring your training? Did you have any infections as a child? I see a host of reasons why you could be where you are instead of where you want to bd.

rowan 46

Über Member
I would imagine that the reason athletes start so early is because they have already shown an aptitude. The fact is some people are better at some things than others and that's just the way it is. I agree that the right training etc will with the requisite dedication on your part make you the best that you can be. But we can't all be first class athletes, scientists, musicians, artists etc cream rises to the top.

apollo179

Presuming a totally level playing field and all variables the same ( diet , training , age started) then the determining factor will be genetic. however in the real world all these factors are not equal and a strong case can be argued for the athelete that does whatever is nessecary to win will win. And here illegal drugs enter the equation.

TVC

Just to stir things up, race and class play a huge part. Pro cycling is virtually white middle class European or Anglophile like tennis or swimming. Running is Afro Caribbean dominated because you don't need expensive kit to get on with it.

Success in sport is down to access to resources.

Adasta

Surely lance strengthens the case for the mental strength arguement - he epitomises mental strength , the will to overcome adversity and win at all costs.

But did you read the article? There's no question that he does have mental strength, but I'm saying it helps more when you're a cyclist with a heart 30% bigger than an average man and lungs that can have a great VO2 max then most regular chaps!

zexel

Veteran
IMO genetics is used as an excuse by the ones lacking in mental fortitude.

To stir it up a bit more, it's like the overweight blaming it on their genes! :rolleyes:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
IMO genetics is used as an excuse by the ones lacking in mental fortitude.

To stir it up a bit more, it's like the overweight blaming it on their genes! :rolleyes:

I blame my weight on my thyroid gland not working. Is that ok?:thumbsup:

Powza

Have you seen the legs on those guys? They have muscles on their muscles!
Super, super fit athletes in tip top condition; absolutely top of the range equipment honed to their individual specification and full support for all their needs on hand - Thats why they can go so fast and leave mere mortals in their wake.

lulubel

Über Member
Running is Afro Caribbean dominated because you don't need expensive kit to get on with it.

If that were the case, top runners should be from a wide variety of countries and ethnic backgrounds because having money doesn't preclude you from being successful in a sport that isn't expensive.

The top distance runners are mainly from hot countries, and they do their training in temperatures that even I would shudder at - it was 36C here yesterday. When you're used to those kind of temperatures, running in the northern European/USA climate is a doddle.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Do proffessional cyclists push their bodies too hard? Obviously they are fantastically fit and a lot of them will be under the care and instruction of health professionals who advise them about training and diet and so on but ultimately are they pushing their bodies beyond what would be the optimum for a good healthy long life? Are they in effect wearing themselves out early or does all the training and exertion just benefit them in the long run? What if any conditions do these athletes succumb to later in life or even earlier for that matter?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Just to stir things up, race and class play a huge part. Pro cycling is virtually white middle class European or Anglophile like tennis or swimming. Running is Afro Caribbean dominated because you don't need expensive kit to get on with it.

Success in sport is down to access to resources.

Have you prices up running shoes lately???? OK running is cheaper than cycling. Boxing is cheaper than running so I guess that is why so many top boxers are Black? Or is it down to down structure? Tennis - Three words - The Williams Sisters.

Top Bottom