Another electrical question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've seen a recently installed fitted wardrobe with a strip light built into it.

The light is plugged into an existing socket which is now inaccessible as the back of the wardrobe has been fitted over it, meaning that there's now way of isolating it from the mains supply other than flicking the mcb in the consumer unit.

Now as I'm not fully conversant with the 17th edition I don't know if I'm right or not, but surely it can't be legal to install something in this way?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
cut a hole in the back of the wardrobe... then you can reach the switch.

U

User6179

I've seen a recently installed fitted wardrobe with a strip light built into it.

The light is plugged into an existing socket which is now inaccessible as the back of the wardrobe has been fitted over it, meaning that there's now way of isolating it from the mains supply other than flicking the mcb in the consumer unit.

Now as I'm not fully conversant with the 17th edition I don't know if I'm right or not, but surely it can't be legal to install something in this way?

https://www.lyco.co.uk/remote-contr...MIvt-XnrqD3gIV1oTVCh3DGwD0EAkYASABEgKOfvD_BwE

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd cut a hole to access the plug. It's low voltage anyway. Depends if you can isolate the supply. I always switch off a circuit before doing any major works, but plugging in new bulbs/strips etc, not needed.

D

Deleted member 26715

Legal or not, it's poor workmanship & I would be complaining, how can you change out the unit if it fails. As to cutting a hole, if you've paid to have this done, I would not be cutting anything.

D

Deleted member 26715

A few of our kitchen units have holes cut to access the fused spurs. You would never know unless you went looking. You can install a face plate over the hole.
That's what I'd expect to do, either that or a hinged flap that fits inside the aperture.
Yes & Yes but the OP shouldn't be doing it if he's paid for the work to be done

Top Bottom