Another energy meter post.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've had an email from Shell telling me that my electric meter is in need of replacement, and out of the goodness of their hearts they want to do my gas meter as well, how kind of them -

As all meters eventually do, your electricity meter has reached the end of its lifetime, so we need to replace it with a new one. The good news is, we’ll upgrade your old meter to a smart meter, free of charge. While we’re there, we can also upgrade your gas meter to a smart meter.​
Smart meters come with an in-home display unit (IHD) that shows you how much energy you’re using. This makes it easier to see where you’re using the most energy, which can help you use less​

They do seem to miss out the bit where having a smart meter appears to allow them to swap you to a pre-pay situation without a court order if you get behind with payments

It is not a problem for us (at the moment!!), but I was rather shocked when this became clear.

And they certainly never mentioned it when I 'upgraded'

D

Deleted member 26715

They do seem to miss out the bit where having a smart meter appears to allow them to swap you to a pre-pay situation without a court order if you get behind with payments

It is not a problem for us (at the moment!!), but I was rather shocked when this became clear.

And they certainly never mentioned it when I 'upgraded'

How many smart meters are there out there, how many times has this been done, can you point out the bit in the Daily Fail where they give the numbers?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've had an email from Shell telling me that my electric meter is in need of replacement
I feel this is a bit of a lie: have never heard of meters needing replaced unless faulty.
The consumer unit yes (the box with the fuses and levers) but not the actual meter.
I lived in a property for 17 years, the meter was maybe another 17 years old :laugh: no supplier ever said "you must change this outdated meter now".
I think they just want to install a smart meter ^_^

D

Deleted member 26715

I feel this is a bit of a lie: have never heard of meters needing replaced unless faulty.
The consumer unit yes (the box with the fuses and levers) but not the actual meter.
I lived in a property for 17 years, the meter was maybe another 17 years old :laugh: no supplier ever said "you must change this outdated meter now".

They may if they are moving their whole accounting system over to a system that only uses data from SMETS2

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member

That's my thought as well. 😂

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Scottish Power have just tried the same with my gas meter. I've ignored it. We're not using any more gas than usual.

I'm going to ignore it and see how long it is before they try again.

I've had an email from Shell telling me that my electric meter is in need of replacement, and out of the goodness of their hearts they want to do my gas meter as well, how kind of them -

As all meters eventually do, your electricity meter has reached the end of its lifetime, so we need to replace it with a new one. The good news is, we’ll upgrade your old meter to a smart meter, free of charge. While we’re there, we can also upgrade your gas meter to a smart meter.​
Smart meters come with an in-home display unit (IHD) that shows you how much energy you’re using. This makes it easier to see where you’re using the most energy, which can help you use less​

I guess if it does break then you could be without a meter for a while before realising and possibly get behind on the bills?
Makes sense to replace the meters before it enters that age ?

icowden

Veteran
I'm going to ignore it and see how long it is before they try again.
What are your concerns about changing to a smart meter? It does carry quite a few benefits if you can find a decent energy company, and it is useful in assessing your energy use.

classic33

Leg End Member
What are your concerns about changing to a smart meter? It does carry quite a few benefits if you can find a decent energy company, and it is useful in assessing your energy use.
Such as?

You can go round the house turning things off/on to see what's using the most energy with a standard meter.

Once that's done, and you've made a note of what is using what, it's just a meter like any other. The only people to benefit from smart meters are the billing companies.

It's not as though meters, gas or electric, are actually hard to read.

icowden

Veteran
You can go round the house turning things off/on to see what's using the most energy with a standard meter.
Once that's done, and you've made a note of what is using what, it's just a meter like any other. The only people to benefit from smart meters are the billing companies.
It's not as though meters, gas or electric, are actually hard to read.
Well, you run backwards and forwards around your house with excel and your laptop. I think it's a lot easier to use the smartmeter display and data personally. It already has the data, trends, daily and weekly usage etc. I no longer need to permit a meter reader into my house. I used to have a tariff whereby I paid for my energy at the cost of it at the time it was generated. By having more data my billing company was able to provide better prices.

Admittedly then the Government came in and screwed it all up by letting all the companies go bust, but you can't have everything...

Top Bottom