Another example of a drivers bad attitude.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
skerly said:
Hi there, just joined the cycle forum as someone whos been looking at cycling to work oddly enough - i have my bike, i have my route wish me luck..with threads like this i do wonder what ive let myself infor.

As a side note and the reason ive replied to this post i'd just like to thank Nicq for being cautious around the ride on sunday. as a particpant of the ride i'd like to say thanks - for anyone that would like to know a little more it was the Woking bikathon in aid of leukema research..only 30miles but a worthy cause never the less. I only wish all drivers on the day were so considerate,

Many thanks and wish me luck for the morning
Good luck! Your commute should be fine tbh. We all meet the prats and morons from time to time but even then they're usually harmless. :blush:

Keep your wits and you'll be fine!

Matthames

Über Member
downfader said:
Good luck! Your commute should be fine tbh. We all meet the prats and morons from time to time but even then they're usually harmless. :blush:

Keep your wits and you'll be fine!

+1 that.

Most of the time I have no problem with motorists, just occasionally get the odd few who do stupid things, but that is only the odd few.

skerly said:
Hi there, just joined the cycle forum as someone whos been looking at cycling to work oddly enough - i have my bike, i have my route wish me luck..with threads like this i do wonder what ive let myself infor.

As a side note and the reason ive replied to this post i'd just like to thank Nicq for being cautious around the ride on sunday. as a particpant of the ride i'd like to say thanks - for anyone that would like to know a little more it was the Woking bikathon in aid of leukema research..only 30miles but a worthy cause never the less. I only wish all drivers on the day were so considerate,

The fact that we discuss these events on the forum is simply a way of illustrating problems we have experienced. It is not a measure of how dangerous it is out there. Simply letting off steam, asking how we could have handled it better or giving an example of how to deal with a situation

Think of it as an educational experience

Crankarm

Guru
Cunobelin said:
The fact that we discuss these events on the forum is simply a way of illustrating problems we have experienced. It is not a measure of how dangerous it is out there. Simply letting off steam, asking how we could have handled it better or giving an example of how to deal with a situation

Think of it as an educational experience

Where do you cycle? Clearly not planet Earth :smile:.

OP
OP
N

NigC

skerly said:

Hi skerly :biggrin:

I'm sure most drivers were happy to be held up a few minutes to see so many people out on their bikes (especially some rather attractive young ladies :cheers:). I saw a lot of younger ones taking part too which is always nice to see :biggrin:

The guy sounded like a bit of an arse, but I have no idea how he actually behaved around the cyclists - he could have been perfectly calm and curteous then just wanted to "act the man" is front of a friend??? No idea.

I know this would not be the proper forum, but next time you're taking part in something in the area, stick a post in here too and I might see if I can take part :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Look at it this way ... if I thought cycling was a really dangerous risky thing to do would I be letting my 9 year old do it (assuming I'm a nice caring parent). The reversing van could just as easily been reversing at him crossing the road on foot or standing on the pavement.

skerly

morning all - blimey, you guys have an active forum here!

i hold my head in shame as i didnt ride in this morning but on the plus side ive managed to commandeer a locker at work and have bought in a change of clothes for tomorrow.

i'll have my wits about me but you all have said - its normally all good out there.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
skerly said:
morning all - blimey, you guys have an active forum here!

i hold my head in shame as i didnt ride in this morning but on the plus side ive managed to commandeer a locker at work and have bought in a change of clothes for tomorrow.

i'll have my wits about me but you all have said - its normally all good out there.
Admin... ban this user immediately!!

:biggrin::biggrin:

Welcome skerly. It is, indeed, an active forum, hard to keep track of at times as there are so many posters on so many threads... but there's a lot of good info to be found on here. And most of us aren't so bad. :smile:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
NigC said:
Yes, another thread complaining about a driver, sorry :biggrin:

It's now almost impossible to go on any roads by bike without facing some form of intimidation and often downright dangerous behaviour from motons. I hate cycling on roads, especially approaching bends cos you just know there's some fat git revving his engine within inches of your back wheel, who would rather kill you (if he could get away with it) than be delayed by , what's normally no more than 5 or 6 seconds. Pathetic. Luckily I have the chioce here of decent cycle paths and farm tracks/ bridleways, the latter especially are great for avoiding motons and for that matter the rest of the human race which suits me fine. I really feel for fellow cyclists who have to use roads all the time. It's hell.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
Come off it, the above is melodramatic bullshit - you know it and a lot of people on here would disagree with you imo.

Charming!

I'm always reluctant to respond to such eloquence, but frankly I'm close to jacking it all in. I've had so many dangerous encounters recently I'm not sure it's really worth it. Only half an hour ago on my lunchtime ride I was nearly knocked off and had to veer into the verge on a blind 90 deg corner by an insane van driver. Similar yesterday, with a taxi not indicating and turning left across my path. Too many incidents to mention to be honest. In towns it's safer but here, I guess a combination of long straight bits with sudden right angle bends make cycling really unpleasant. Just my experience. If I can get off road, I do at every opportunity. I'm with Crank on this- I've just about had enough.

I now look forward to your apology for swearing and calling me a liar.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Got to agree with Lee...no where near as bad as you describe in my opinion. But then again you do say it's safer in towns. Perhaps this is due to the sheer amount of cyclists on the road.

Too many incidents to mention? Wow.. on my 35-40 mile round commute 5 day a week through South London I am happy to say that I have very few incidents I can recall over one week. Cycle confidently and with a good amount of road sense and awareness of what is happening around you then the less bad incidents will happen.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Glow worm said:
It's now almost impossible to go on any roads by bike without facing some form of intimidation and often downright dangerous behaviour from motons. I hate cycling on roads,

I really don't understand this.

I commute to work almost every day by bike. it's about a 15 mile round trip, but at the moment I'm padding it out to about 20 miles. That's probably about 15 miles in the country, and 5 miles in the town. My route consists of single track lanes (with 90 degree bends), a couple of fast B Roads, an A Road, a short stretch of dual carriageway, and "normal" residential roads in town.

People do overtake too closely from time to time, and I've had people pull out in front of me or cut me up occasionally, but it doesn't happen very often, and I've only had 2 incidents over the last year which I would call semi-serious (eg, where, if I had a head cam, I'd bother posting video here).

I just don't understand the agro some people appear to get. I don't believe the driving standards in my neck of the woods are any better than anywhere else, so I can only assume it's down to the rider, and either their tolerance level, riding style, hazard perception, or something else.

He didn't call you a liar. What he said was that statements like "It's now almost impossible to go on any roads by bike without facing some form of intimidation and often downright dangerous behaviour from motons." are melodramatic bullshit. And, even speaking as a mod, I'm not sure he's wrong. Granted, you've had a few nasty incidents, but the plural of "anecdote" is not "data" and your few incidents can't meaningfully be extrapolated to cover every cyclist in the UK. I cycle on roads with no problems, and over the last twenty odd years I can count the incidents on one hand. I certainly don't find it "impossible to go on any roads by bike without facing some form of intimidation ... from motons".

Top Bottom