Another extortionate way to profiteering.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That would be tax fraud....

I'm not advocating it; simply observing it can probably be done without any great difficulty.

straas

Matt
Places locally are going for 10% over asking, with some more popular places going for around 30% more than last year.

Houses have 40+ bookings within a day and end up with over 5 "best and final" offers

Crazy stuff.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
South Manchester
North Cheshire eh?

Is you a footballist, perhaps ^_^

PK99

Legendary Member
I noticed a bit of shameless profiteering recently, but dressed up as environmental concern which makes it even harder to stomach.

Depending where you shop, Douwe Egberts instant coffee is about 6 pounds for a glass jar with 190g of coffee in it. They also sell a "refill pack" alongside, (for to save the planet from too much glass production they tell you - despite the refill pack being plastic). It appears to be cheaper at 4.50, so you consider that instead, because the jar has a cost so you believe that might be where the saving comes from... But then you look closer and notice it's only got 150g of coffee in the pack, making it actually more expensive than the same coffee in a jar, gramme for gramme. So you're not going to buy the refill pack if your head's screwed on, which negates their claim that it's all for the environment.

No, you Dutch coffee bait and switch mongers, the smaller pack is not for the environment, it's for your profits!

On your numbers:
600p for 190g = 3.16p/g in a jar
450p for 150g = 3.0p/g in a refill pack

3 ÷ 3.16 = 0.95

Ie the refill pack is 5% cheaper per g of coffee

PK99

Legendary Member
One of my daughters lives near Stoke on Trent and is trying to buy a house after selling hers. I don't know if this is going on just in the Midlands but she has to put a bid in an envelop and obviously the highest bidder will win. What happened to the old traditional way of just paying the asking price and more the the point, why bother about an asking price? Really, this is more like an auction with a set starting price.

You need to catch up.

Feb 2014 D1 bought a flat.

Went on market on Thursday.
Viewings on Saturday.
Offer on Monday @asking price
Closed to offers on Monday with request for "Best and Final" offers by close of business on Tuesday.
Offered 4%ish over asking price.
Offer accepted lunchtime Wednesday.

Similar process when she rented out on moving to Canada, rental offer accepted was above asking rental

Ditto when she sold late 2019. Sold iirc on day 1 of marketing for above asking price.

PK99

Legendary Member
I partly blame the TV property shows for this sealed bid thing.

The first time I ever even heard of "we will pay the full asking price but you must take the house off the market today" was on a TV show.

Now that has become a standard tactic.

Then a show included a house in Scotland being bought under the sealed bids system.

But in a sellers market, sealed bids (in England now) have become a way for a seller to see just how much someone is prepared to pay. It's horrible, but it's the way of the world just now......

When I bought my first house in Whitehaven, in 1979, there was a guide price system with offers invited. Not sealed bids mind, just the estate agent on the pho e saying someone else had offers £100 more.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
haha not quite that south.

Locally you're looking at up to £375k for a 2 bed terrace: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/106140986#/ which is likely to go for £400k with todays market.

A house on the same road (admittedly in need of modernisation) went for £303k late 2019.

It's like london in 2011/12

Yeah, south Manchester prices have gone through the roof in the last few years. Demand massively outstrips supply. Chorlton and Didsbury especially, but anywhere round Altrincham too. Possibly the BBC moving to Salford Quays has exacerbated it. Sell your London flat for £500k and buy a terrace in Didsbury. Chorlton and Didsbury were always full of media types but only the rich ones can afford it now.

Top Bottom