Another Garmin Question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Pretty well just about to order a Garmin Edge 510, and not being the most techno person on earth, I thought I'd tap in to the font of knowledge on this forum.

This may sound like a dumb question, but can you just download Garmin Connect to your PC and then just plug the 510 in to it at the end of a ride to retrieve all your stats, or do you have to have the mobile app? I have an android phone, but with limited data allowance on my contract. I realize the live tracking, weather updates etc would need the unit to be connected to my phone, but do I have to go via the phone to upload my stats to the PC?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Pretty well just about to order a Garmin Edge 510, and not being the most techno person on earth, I thought I'd tap in to the font of knowledge on this forum.

This may sound like a dumb question, but can you just download Garmin Connect to your PC and then just plug the 510 in to it at the end of a ride to retrieve all your stats, or do you have to have the mobile app? I have an android phone, but with limited data allowance on my contract. I realize the live tracking, weather updates etc would need the unit to be connected to my phone, but do I have to go via the phone to upload my stats to the PC?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.
If you don't think you really need the live tracking and bluetooth uploads to mobile, etc you could probably save some pennies and just go for a 500.

Yep, just plug the device into your computer via the supplied usb lead and Garmin Express will upload your ride direct to Garmin Connect and also push it to Strava if you wish too.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

If you don't think you really need the live tracking and bluetooth uploads to mobile, etc you could probably save some pennies and just go for a 500.

Yep, just plug the device into your computer via the supplied usb lead and Garmin Express will upload your ride direct to Garmin Connect and also push it to Strava if you wish too.
Thanks Mo1959. I had looked at the 500, and found the bundle with HRM belt and cadence/speed sensor for £160.00. Are you able to advise whether you can set up interval sessions and train with a virtual partner on the 500, which are two features which I particularly like about the 510.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Thanks Mo1959. I had looked at the 500, and found the bundle with HRM belt and cadence/speed sensor for £160.00. Are you able to advise whether you can set up interval sessions and train with a virtual partner on the 500, which are two features which I particularly like about the 510.
Definitely has the virtual partner but I'm not sure about setting up interval sessions. Maybe someone else will be along to advise on that.
This is the 500 instructions if you can glean any info.
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge500_OwnersManual.pdf

Top Bottom