Another hill question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclebum

When it comes to hills I've had a go at the cadence thing and am convinced for me on smaller hills it is much better., but what about the bigger ones. We have some near us I am dying to tackle but want to get it right.
I have been told only to come out of the saddle when I really need to,but when do I know when to go for it, too soon and I get knackered after only a few peddles, but too late and I could come to a grinding halt.
Also I do quite a lot of Xbiking, (like spinning but apparently harder!) and we have 3 basic positions, sitting standing and hover. I have never tried to hover while out on my bike as I am not sure when it is appropriate. Is is more for road bike users as I have a MTB??????;):wacko:;)

alicat

Legendary Member
Cyclebum

I think you're doing too much theorising and not enough hill-climbing. Go ride lots of hills and you will soon find out what is right for you.

I for one having never heard of hovering in a cycling context but you could always give it a try out on the road and see how it works. Perhaps best to pick a time when A & E is likely to be quiet....

yenrod

'bum - go for the higher cadence (an easier gear in the 1st instance than you realise:tongue:) and occasionally out the saddle...if you can hover, like ALI' points out, maybe you can advise me on this one ;)

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks for these responses. Maybe I am theorising so much, but in the past I have found I have wasted too much energy for too long by not doing things right eg: I thought I would get fitter faster by struggling in the highest gears possible at all times, all I got was very frustrated at my lack of progress and very sore legs.
As to 'hovering' sorry I assumed it was a technical cycling term but obviously not. Basically, rather than standing or putting the weight more to the front, the bum is over the back of the seat but low so the back is much flatter. Is someone now going to say 'oh you mean........'???!!!

alicat

Legendary Member
Cyclebum

I was teasing you a little and seem to have provided a little light relief for everyone.

What I was basically trying to say is that to improve as a cyclist you need to put lots of miles in. As you do that you will learn what feels right for you. I personally lower my cadence gradually according to the length and gradient of the hill. I start at about 80rpm by contrast with 90 rpm on the flat and drop to as little as 50 - 60 rpm by the end of the hill. I go up a gear and stand up just before the brow of the hill but when I do so depends on how strong I am feeling. If I realise I have stood up too early I just sit down again and drop a gear.

I think hovering must be an X-biking technique and something that doesn't offer any advantages on a real bike.

Tynan

Veteran
cadence and lower gear is good

and then get stuck

every week I get a little bit better at the whore that is the hill from Seven Sisters to Manor Park

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks for this. I certainly am trying to get as many miles as poss in, how do you think I got my cyclebum!;) must say I was amazed how soon then pain disappeared and I am sure that was just due to frequent stubborn perserverence. I can now cope quite comfortably with about 30 miles, though my hips start to ache a bit by then- my fault for taking up such a daft thing as a mid life crisis! I started to do all this in March when I signed up for a charity bike ride in India next year, over 240miles over 5 days.

bonj2

cyclebum said:
When it comes to hills I've had a go at the cadence thing and am convinced for me on smaller hills it is much better., but what about the bigger ones. We have some near us I am dying to tackle but want to get it right.
I have been told only to come out of the saddle when I really need to,but when do I know when to go for it, too soon and I get knackered after only a few peddles

it's PEDAL!
For god's sake!
Stop trying to look twee, you know very well what the correct spelling is - it's not an optional modification thing!

asterix

Comrade Member
..then why isn't it

SADAL rather than saddle?

(not that I don't find 'peddle' irritating, except maybe if you are trying to sell me something)

bonj2

asterix said:
..then why isn't it
(not that I don't find 'peddle' irritating, except maybe if you are trying to sell me something)

I don't find it irritating if people make a genuine spelling mistake, but with 'peddle' they know how it should be but they deliberately get it wrong to appear all fuzzy and twee. That annoys me.

Top Bottom