Another IPod question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Jaded said:
Uninformed codswallop.

If you think you are going to tip the new zen like bonj, into disequilibrium, then you won't, not with lazy sentences you won't.

He will return. But not on the top of incoherence and laziness.

Would you?

Clive Atton

Über Member
Burn your DRM'd iTunes tracks onto a CD and that will lose the DRM. You then have a back up of your downloaded music which is a sensible thing to have anyway. You can subsequently re-import your music into any MP3 player you like. It's the record companies that insisted on DRM, don't blame Apple.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Clive Atton said:
Burn your DRM'd iTunes tracks onto a CD and that will lose the DRM. You then have a back up of your downloaded music which is a sensible thing to have anyway. You can subsequently re-import your music into any MP3 player you like. It's the record companies that insisted on DRM, don't blame Apple.

Yeah, even I knew that! (after a friend helped me do it...)

While we're on itunes, sorry, a quick hijack. I've just got my laptop back after a hard drive replacement and windows reinstall. I had itunes on before, and have all the music backed up, will I need to go and download itunes again? I think it's all in a form I can play through Windows media player anyway, having done the burn to CD trick, but I think I found itunes was a convenient way to listen...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
Yeah, even I knew that! (after a friend helped me do it...)

While we're on itunes, sorry, a quick hijack. I've just got my laptop back after a hard drive replacement and windows reinstall. I had itunes on before, and have all the music backed up, will I need to go and download itunes again? I think it's all in a form I can play through Windows media player anyway, having done the burn to CD trick, but I think I found itunes was a convenient way to listen...

yes, from www.apple.com. there's an upgrade just out so you may get a few more bells and whistles with it.

Carwash

Señor Member
bonj said:
yeah but if you download mp3s off itunes then they LOCK them so you can only use them on that computer or an ipod! They're not mp3s, they're apple's own encrypted format, designed to lock you into apple!

Buying DRM'd music from iTMS != owning an iPod. Just rip your music from CD, or buy DRM-free music from iTMS or Amazon or whereever (or off bittorrent, ahem...).

bonj2

but itunes music ISN'T DRM free, that's my problem.... Neither is napster even but fairly easy to contest that it seems

Jaded

bonj said:
but itunes music ISN'T DRM free, that's my problem.... Neither is napster even but fairly easy to contest that it seems

Actually, rather a lot of it is. :becool:

Carwash

Señor Member
bonj said:

iTMS = iTunes Music Store - the place you can buy music from through the iTunes progam.

bonj said:

A good proportion of music on the iTunes store is DRM-free, and has been for some time. In any case, I would re-iterate: if you're concerned about quality and DRM (and you should be) then iTunes is probably not the place to buy your music from - better to buy the CD and rip it yourself to the format of your choice. If it's convenience you're after, you can't beat iTMS for instant gratification.

But having an iPod and using iTunes in no way requires you to purchase DRM'd music from iTMS, or to even touch DRM at all. You can quite happily rip your CDs to MP3, organise them in the iTunes program and sync with your iPod. And many people do just that.

Disclaimer: I am a Mac user... but I don't have an iPod and never use iTunes, so if some of the above is inaccurate, do correct me!

bonj2

a) i want to be able to buy music on a track-by-track basis, without having to buy a whole album and without having to wait for a cd to come through the post or having to wade through the chavs in hmv.
:becool: I don't want to have to do a "is this DRM protected or not" analysis for each track I buy.

I am willing to pay for my music, IF they make it easy for me to do so and to use it on my choice of portable device. If they try to make me jump through hoops and try lock formats for one greedy reason or another even when I take the honest option and choose to PAY for the music, then it's no surprise that people think "oh, sod this" and take the illegal option and download it through peer-to-peer file sharing sites like emule.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
I just read all this and I thought I'd logged into an parallel univese Cycle chat. Mrs BG only wants to store all her Terry Pratchett stories (etc) on some kind of contraption allowing her to hear them while she potters about. It seems that she'll need about 80gb and from my perambulations round Curries and Comet today, Apple seem the only supplier of such a gizmo albeit for abot the price of my first house. Since them I've chatted to my various children scattered round the globe and they seem to need to replace them anually cos they break? For £159 I want to hand it down to my grandchildren....

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
a) i want to be able to buy music on a track-by-track basis, without having to buy a whole album and without having to wait for a cd to come through the post or having to wade through the chavs in hmv.
:becool: I don't want to have to do a "is this DRM protected or not" analysis for each track I buy.

I am willing to pay for my music, IF they make it easy for me to do so and to use it on my choice of portable device. If they try to make me jump through hoops and try lock formats for one greedy reason or another even when I take the honest option and choose to PAY for the music, then it's no surprise that people think "oh, sod this" and take the illegal option and download it through peer-to-peer file sharing sites like emule.
just look for itunes plus tracks then…

kyuss

Veteran
alecstilleyedye said:
just look for itunes plus tracks then…

...or carry on buying from wherever you are buying your tunes from now. As it's been pointed out above owning an iPod doesn't tie you into only ever buying from iTunes. You can still buy them from wherever else you like.

Top Bottom