Another 'My first TT' thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edwards80

Über Member
Back from my 1st tonight (hope I'm not hijacking your thread :biggrin: ) - Wet, Windy, Painful would be my description. . . for some reason I enjoyed it and want to do it again. :blink: The club/other riders were friendly - some very nice looking TT bikes to ogle too :smile:

Official time of 28:40 - I was hoping for less than 30mins so I'm fairly pleased, especially with a cold! (I have loads of other excuses if that one won't do)

Hope you enjoy yours tomorrow SittingDuck!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Back from my 1st tonight (hope I'm not hijacking your thread :biggrin: ) - Wet, Windy, Painful would be my description. . . for some reason I enjoyed it and want to do it again. :blink: The club/other riders were friendly - some very nice looking TT bikes to ogle too :smile:

Official time of 28:40 - I was hoping for less than 30mins so I'm fairly pleased, especially with a cold! (I have loads of other excuses if that one won't do)

Hope you enjoy yours tomorrow SittingDuck!

Well done! If I get something beginning with a 2 and not a 3 I will be really pleased. Guaranteed a PB anyway :smile: I plan to wind it up to about 21mph on the outbound leg and try to drill it back after the turn. Save some for the last few hundred yards maybe but I'll have to see how it pans out lol. Most likely come limping over the line.

Oh, and I caught the train in this morning, so that's another excuse gone begging!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hahaha - I was expecting you's lot to be driving the team car!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Okay, so... I rode down to Dorking (about an hour from mine) at a fairly gentle pace. It was dry and the weather was looking ok. Until I reached Dorking town centre and the skies went black and then the rain started. It kept on going for perhaps 30 - 45 mins and just stopped prior to the off. The start is a mile or so to the South of the main town, in a quiet road called Spook Hill, that leads directly onto the busy A24. There was somebody who dropped out at number 4 spot (20:04, off) so the guy who organises the TT slotted me in there...

Number one goes (wiley old goat - been doing TTs for decades, I guess).
Number two goes
Number 3 is into her 5 second countdown then realises she has a flat front tyre!

"Number four!" Oh cr*p, that's me! Up I roll to the start and decided not to clip in while being held up. I swear the starter wasn't holding it level and I would have fallen over to the right. So I roll away and fumble with my slippery wet shoe to get clipped in *facepalm*. My lungs were on fire quite quickly! You couldn't say it's hilly but it is certainly a rolling course, straight down the A24 to the second RAB then retrace the route. The first mile or so seemed like a constant uphill drag, Had a crosswind for most of the ride and perhaps a little from the front on the outbound leg, with a slight assist coming back.

Set my Garmin to show only 3 fields: Lap Avg speed, lap distance and Heart rate. I was doing ok but decided that I had probably gone off slightly too fast in the first couple of miles. My HR wouldn't drop much below 170 and I could feel burn in my legs and chest. Anyway - I don't have the official times yet - I think because of the rain, the guy was going to collate everything when he got home and post it up on the club forum either tonight or tomorrow. I do have my unofficial Garmin lap data (reset the lap marker at the start of the TT). Time: 26:03, Avg 23.0mph, Avg HR 170, Max HR 180. I should have kept my head down through the finish instead of sitting up to hit the lap button (which I think I missed by a couple of seconds). If the official is 26 mins I will be over the moon :biggrin:

Top Bottom