Another 'My first TT' thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thommo74

I'm going to start TT'ing next year and have started my training now.Generally only averaging 17/18mph at the moment so a lot of work to do. That said, this is on a hybrid and usually carrying a back pack with a laptop in so on a shiny new road bike (fingers crossed) aero bars and no lap top, that's got to be worth another couple of mph surely? The rest will have to come from me.

Anyway, quick question, do you have to be a member of a club to enter these TTs or can you just roll up to any race you want...or are there no hard / fast rules about this and it all depends on the organisers?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm going to start TT'ing next year and have started my training now.Generally only averaging 17/18mph at the moment so a lot of work to do. That said, this is on a hybrid and usually carrying a back pack with a laptop in so on a shiny new road bike (fingers crossed) aero bars and no lap top, that's got to be worth another couple of mph surely? The rest will have to come from me.

Anyway, quick question, do you have to be a member of a club to enter these TTs or can you just roll up to any race you want...or are there no hard / fast rules about this and it all depends on the organisers?

There are different types of TT's. Club TT's usually you can enter on the day and you will be granted day membership, but if you do more than a few you will be expected to join the club (just etiquette). Open TT's, you can read all about here: http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/

For open TT's under the CTT you must adhere to the rules outlined on the website linked above. There is a beginners tab along the top.

thommo74

There are different types of TT's. Club TT's usually you can enter on the day and you will be granted day membership, but if you do more than a few you will be expected to join the club (just etiquette). Open TT's, you can read all about here: http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/

For open TT's under the CTT you must adhere to the rules outlined on the website linked above. There is a beginners tab along the top.
Cheers pal. Looks like that's my starting point.

thommo74

I cycle every day to / from the station. So that 10 miles a day and then try to fit a big 'un in once a week at weekends. However, the meat of my training I am doing on an exercise bike at the gym. This is the subject of another thread I posted where I was asking people's opinions of exercise bike training. I know for sure an exercise bike is not reflective of real riding and that an average of 20mph on a gym bike can't be taken seriously - i.e. no wind resistance, no gravity, no hauling your own weight along but the key for me with the gym sessions is training at the right heart rates following a training programme I am following and I am already seeing some benefits from an aerobic point of view. Leg strenght is another matter though so I'm doing a bit of leg pressing once a week plus a bit of core strength stuff to. The programme itself is all centred around intervals and I just didn't think the road biking would lend itself to this type of training what with getting stopped at traffic lights every 5 minutes plus time is limited to get out on the bike in decent conditions over the winter to. Suppose it would be a different matter if you're in Team Sky and off to Spain to train.

Would be happy to hear what you think about this though.

Top Bottom