Another 'My first TT' thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Nice time SD!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
So, this morning I had another go. Same course and the sun was out this time :sun:
Will have to wait for the official times to be posted but I definitely got a PB. I suppose it is to be expected that you improve a bit in the first few efforts, then plateau. It will be my last of the year now and I will revisit the idea next Spring - hopefully, not having gained too much weight or lost too much speed, during the bleak winter months :smile:

Estimated time was 24:30 - got to be happy with that! I wonder if I would go under 23 mins with a set of clip on bars or a pointy hat... might not be a good look though :laugh:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Official result is in...

24:28, which put me 8th of 28 riders on scratch times and 3rd of 28 on handicap :heat:
I didn't wait around at the end though, which may have been a bit of a faux pas. I assumed they would do the same thing as last time and post the times online the next day but not hang about on the day. Turns out there was a medal ceremony and tropies awarded because it was a special event. I would have been 3rd spot on the podium (for handicap) and missed out on it - what an idiot :wacko:

Oh well, there's always next year.

frank9755

Cyclist
Well done, Ant! That's a great time - especially for your second ride and using drops!
Do get the aerobars; they will make a significant difference.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cheers Frank - I read online that the predicted gain could be in the region of 30 seconds or so, over a 10. I don't know if I could be doing with taking them on and off the best bike so might be easier to build up an old frame and leave them on, as a permanent fixture. I suppose you could even have a single chainring up front and specific gearing etc :whistle:

Will have a think over the coming months and maybe take it on, as a Winter project! Cheers again :smile:

VamP

Banned
Cheers Frank - I read online that the predicted gain could be in the region of 30 seconds or so, over a 10. I don't know if I could be doing with taking them on and off the best bike so might be easier to build up an old frame and leave them on, as a permanent fixture. I suppose you could even have a single chainring up front and specific gearing etc :whistle:

Will have a think over the coming months and maybe take it on, as a Winter project! Cheers again :smile:

You'll be better off starting with a TT frame for your winter project. There are more aero improvements to be had from a TT bike geometry, than from clip on bars.

Good time! I sometimes include the Holmwood course in my training rides, and saw your results up on the CC Strava listing. It's not exactly the fastest 10 mile course in the world either, is it.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ahhh, but I have 2 surplus - no make that 3 surplus frames stuffed in the space under the stairs :tongue: One of which has a tiny headtube. Might have a look at TT frames also :whistle:

I have nothing to compare Holmwood to but from what I have read it's quite up & down, for a flat course. To be fair the conditions were good on Saurday though and not too windy. Will see how I fair next year! Cheers :biggrin:

VamP

Banned
Ahhh, but I have 2 surplus - no make that 3 surplus frames stuffed in the space under the stairs :tongue: One of which has a tiny headtube. Might have a look at TT frames also :whistle:

I have nothing to compare Holmwood to but from what I have read it's quite up & down, for a flat course. To be fair the conditions were good on Saurday though and not too windy. Will see how I fair next year! Cheers :biggrin:

Yeah, especially that first section does not feel very flat :rolleyes:

musa

Über Member
Blimey mate, you're flying.....
And... oops indeed...:smile:

Almost too frightened to go cycling with you these days....:ohmy:
second that

edit: actually that includes you Mr Ian albeit a confidence boost you are everything out the window

Top Bottom