Another mysterious fairy visit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
This should have been the simplest of fixes, but as is becoming the norm, there is a story to it.
It started on my last 50k a month ride, and I will admit to not checking the bike properly beforehand but I was using it regularly and was reasonably happy with it. On quite a steep downhill section, I felt it kick but thought not too much more of it until eventually I realised I had a visit. No big deal, despite the fact it was really cold and really wet and I did feel a bit exposed in the middle of Glasgow airport. Probably took me a bit longer than would be normal to get going again but when I did i had a great ride. I did 2 seperate commutes on that repair but on the morning of the 3rd I realised I had another visit but not enough to go entirely flat. I wondered if I was just unlucky, before paying particular attention to checking for debris in the tyre and the wheel but nothing. Again the tyre went soft rather than flat for a 3rd time and I knew something was wrong. Today was my first chance to check everything and I went over the inside of the tyre with a fine tooth comb to find zilch. I checked the rim tape which was in good condition but there was one bit had slid a bit exposing a bit of a sharp edge. I taped over it but checking the tube, there was no leak. I inflated it as much as I dare, which meant it was huge and stressed it as much as I could but still nothing. In the end, I've replaced the tube and inflated it, but I'm missing something, any ideas?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Valve id think at high pressure

Ajax Bay

Guru
eventually I realised I had a visit. . . . Probably took me a bit longer than would be normal to get going again [few days later] . . . I realised I had another visit but not enough to go entirely flat. I wondered if I was just unlucky, before paying particular attention to checking for debris in the tyre and the wheel but nothing. Again the tyre went soft rather than flat for a 3rd time and I knew something was wrong. Today was my first chance to check everything and I went over the inside of the tyre with a fine tooth comb to find zilch. In the end, I've replaced the tube and inflated it, but I'm missing something, any ideas?
I'd replace the rim tape. If you then get another visit then fit the old tyre that you've held onto. And see if that stops it. If it does, you know where to look.
Edited to say that the OP doesn't say (until the last) whether they replaced or patched the tube. I'd assumed (my normal practice) that you'd replaced the tube each time at the roadside. In that case it's highly unlikely that each of the tubes had a faulty valve - so I'd discount that.

Last edited:
U

User6179

Checked, checked and checked again but no leak. They are cheap halford's tubes but would you get 3 failing in quick succession?

Remember you cant check a tube/valve at high pressure unless it is on the wheel, taking the tube off the wheel and pumping it up does not put any pressure into the tube.
Sounds like dodgy valves !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Quite often I've had a succession of punctures in the same place caused by tiny shards of glass lodged inside holes in the tyre. Try probing all the cuts and small holes with a metal point, you will feel any glass grating.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The bike has been in the back of the motor since I fixed it and still holding the pressure. I'm about to go for a spin so we will see how long it lasts tonight.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It may be fine until you ride it and the tyre flexes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So I bet you've got what I described. If it happens again take careful note of the place then examine the tyre very carefully in that spot for a hidden shard.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
So I bet you've got what I described. If it happens again take careful note of the place then examine the tyre very carefully in that spot for a hidden shard.
I feel as though I did that already bit I'll give it another try if it goes again.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need to examine the carcass turning it inside out under a strong light and probing every defect. Sometimes you'll see the glass glinting.

Top Bottom