Another New Bike Thread: Road bike with disc brakes and strong wheels (£1000 CTW scheme)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I know that there seems to be a lot of these threads, and I've read most of them with interest but I would really appreciate specific advice to see if I've learned anything. Must be almost 2 years ago I bought my first bike as an adult. It soon became pretty obvious that I had made some basic errors and it cost me in upgraded component parts and LBS bills. This time, I hope to make a better fist of it, especially as I picked up my £1000 voucher from my works Cycle To Work Scheme. It really needs to be a road bike, can't get on with other types although I do own a mountain bike. I've never felt overly confident with the brakes on my bike, so not everyones cup of tea but I would like disc brakes. I'm not light weight so looking for good strong wheels, but wouldn't mind upgrading them later. All my riding is on roads, plenty back roads but no need for cyclo-cross or anything like that. I did a lot of hill climbs last year as a bit of training, and I'm looking to expand on that this year. I'll be switching saddles from the bike I have at the moment and will be looking to use it all year, but not exactly sure how I'll split the use between both bikes.

I maybe should have mentioned this first, but I do like a bargain. :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Which retailers can you use?
Do you have any brand or frame material preferences? Geometry preferred?
Maybe look at a gravel/adventure bike? Or a more rugged road bike like a Whyte?
Is this a commuter presumably? Full guards? Pannier rack etc?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I do have a list, but not to hand. It's for Evans and a whole host of LBS if that helps, but not Halfords. No preference for brand, and I'm not snob so not particularly looking for a brand name. I should have said, but I really don't want carbon, and the only thing I really remember about geometry from a bike fit was short 90 mm stem and compact bars, but I'm assuming I would probably need to fit them myself.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Not the colour...
Mixed reviews, but certainly fits what I'm looking for.

I know that there seems to be a lot of these threads, and I've read most of them with interest but I would really appreciate specific advice to see if I've learned anything. Must be almost 2 years ago I bought my first bike as an adult. It soon became pretty obvious that I had made some basic errors and it cost me in upgraded component parts and LBS bills. This time, I hope to make a better fist of it, especially as I picked up my £1000 voucher from my works Cycle To Work Scheme. It really needs to be a road bike, can't get on with other types although I do own a mountain bike. I've never felt overly confident with the brakes on my bike, so not everyones cup of tea but I would like disc brakes. I'm not light weight so looking for good strong wheels, but wouldn't mind upgrading them later. All my riding is on roads, plenty back roads but no need for cyclo-cross or anything like that. I did a lot of hill climbs last year as a bit of training, and I'm looking to expand on that this year. I'll be switching saddles from the bike I have at the moment and will be looking to use it all year, but not exactly sure how I'll split the use between both bikes.

I maybe should have mentioned this first, but I do like a bargain. :whistle:
Probably go for this if i had a grand burning a hole....
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Felt-Z6-Disc-2016-Road-Bike_82594.htm

Top Bottom