Another New Bike Thread: Road bike with disc brakes and strong wheels (£1000 CTW scheme)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fine if you are tall

I do have a list, but not to hand. It's for Evans and a whole host of LBS if that helps, but not Halfords. No preference for brand, and I'm not snob so not particularly looking for a brand name. I should have said, but I really don't want carbon, and the only thing I really remember about geometry from a bike fit was short 90 mm stem and compact bars, but I'm assuming I would probably need to fit them myself.

Need to understand more about what you mean by "geometry from a bike fit was short 90 mm stem" etc - such things are relative to the specific bike you were fitted on. Example: if you had an XXL bike and got a fitting on it (waste of money imho), and they said "you should have a 90 mm stem", if you then turned up on an XS bike and got a fitting, they would be recommending a very long stem. I realise the example is bordering on the ridiculous but do you see my point? It doesn't give us any information to help you decide.

How tall are you, and what size, type, make and model of bike(s) have you currently got?

What is it about all other class of bike than road bike that leads you to say you can only get on with road bikes? How much experience have you had of any/all of the other categories?

I love window shopping bikes for other people, so I do genuinely want to help!

Thanks

BB

58 cannondale will be huge I'd say but at least Evans offer proper testrides

Yeah I'm 5 11 and tested a 56 Synapse the other year, even that felt a touch big and I would've needed that 90 mm stem you mentioned!

Saying that, the road racing shop manager I visited on that occasion (who knows his onions) - measured me up and said I should be on the 58 - I think he thought that I was/should be more lithe, flexible, athletic and prepared to take a long flat position, than I actually was.

Yes, it seems I can. Not sure about that one, might seem picky but external cable routing and what is a London fork? I almost hesitate to say it after reading another thread, but I've never used Sram.

Nothing to worry about with SRAM. They're just gears.

Nothing wrong with external cabling. It's much easier to look after.

Okay so here's my thoughts so far.

What you've specified: a 56 frame (because of your height); no carbon; can use Evans; like bargains; don't like black.

With that in mind I personally think you'd be nuts not to buy from Evans. 1, they've got a huge range, 2, they've got a lot of big sales on at the moment, 3, they let you do free test rides, 4, they don't charge a ridiculous commission on cycle2work bikes.

I'm now looking, therefore, at sub-£1000 56 cm colourful sale road bikes on Evans' website. With carbon off the list.

BB

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Need to understand more about what you mean by "geometry from a bike fit was short 90 mm stem" etc - such things are relative to the specific bike you were fitted on. Example: if you had an XXL bike and got a fitting on it (waste of money imho), and they said "you should have a 90 mm stem", if you then turned up on an XS bike and got a fitting, they would be recommending a very long stem. I realise the example is bordering on the ridiculous but do you see my point? It doesn't give us any information to help you decide.

How tall are you, and what size, type, make and model of bike(s) have you currently got?

What is it about all other class of bike than road bike that leads you to say you can only get on with road bikes? How much experience have you had of any/all of the other categories?

I love window shopping bikes for other people, so I do genuinely want to help!

Thanks

BB
Thanks, appreciate all offers of help.

I bought a cheap Carrera road bike from Halfords to keep me of the fags. As I progressed, I realised that I could have chosen better but at the time I wasn't convinced I would stick this malarkey. I eventually got a bike fit, which made a huge benefit to my performance and pushed me on some more. I was advised to go for the 90mm stem and compact bars for a perfect fit, but i never did to be honest. I'm a thick set scaffolder, so never going to ride like Froome, but I do enjoy being on the road. I do own a mountain bike and ice ridden a whyte with the 29 inch wheels that covers the ground well, but I am nothing if not loyal and as the road is what hooked me, I just prefer to stay there.

Top Bottom