Another newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteT

Hello all, my name is Pete and I'm from South Devon. I'm an ex-racing cyclist (not a very good one I hasten to add) but have not thrown a leg over a bike in anger for about 25 years. I came back to cycling in February of this year and have done 3 sportives so far (Cornwall Tor/ Dartmoor Classic/New Forest Rattler, Bronze/Silver/Gold respectively), but mainly just enjoy getting out & about again. I'm just about to start Audaxing as well, and am a member of the Mid Devon CC.
Whilst not a great deal in cycling has changed (well...apart from Aheadsets, indexed gearing, carbon fibre, better training and nutritional advice etc!!) I am still very much a newbie in the world of computers and internet matters, so please be gentle with me. :biggrin:

OP
OP
P

PeteT

Hellooo....is there anybody there......

Welcome Pete. I think you might have scared most of us with your list of achievements in the last 6 months, especially after a 25 year lay off. Plus, it sounds like you probably did more 25 years ago than most of achieve at all!

Anyway, welcome from me in definitely about to rain Bolton :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

PeteT

Cheers guys - and greetings from a VERY wet South Devon (where I don't think we've had a day without rain for a fortnight - doesn't half stuff up the training).

Actually, I was always a very ordinary club time trialist/circuit racer (no, thinking about it, I was always a very poor one!) so I hope I don't come across as being some sort of latter-day Eddy Merckx. The only reason I've achieved what I've done over the past 6 months is by a) eating well, b) training sensibly with plenty of recovery time (needed because I'm a little older than I wish I was!) and c) having the cr*p scared out of me by a doctor who told me if I didn't lose weight and get fit I'd die of liver failure! :sad:

At the age of 56 and with a new granddaughter, I didn't fancy that last option, so here we are. Cycling and rugby had been sporting passions in the past, but the bike ruled so it was an easy choice. Just wish I hadn't stayed away so long - in fact I bitterly regret it - I just like riding my bike, and it seems this board is full of friendly people with a similar outlook.

I'm looking forward to joining in the fun :smile:

OP
OP
P

PeteT

Are you doing the Wessex CTC Audax on the New Forest on Sept 4th? I'll be there with some friends, hoping not to take all day getting round and that the weather's kind!

Sadly not - if all goes to plan, I'll be on the Amalfi coast in Italy then. Looks like my first Audax is going to be the Dartmoor Devil on 31st October.

Top Bottom