Another newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnneW

Über Member
Hi, another new member (seem's to be a lot of us about ^_^).

I started cycling a couple of years ago when some friends suggested we cycle Manchester to Blackpool. I am in my 40s and very overweight but thought I'd give it a go. Took me 7 hours but I did it.

Same friends then suggested we cycle C2C. I was a year older and still overeight but hey.....We did it June 2011, over 4 days. Day 3 was tough, it took me 13 hours, climbed around 5000 feet but I still got back on the bike the next day. Cycling is addictive and the C2C is fantastic.

Now same friends have suggested London to Paris. We're looking at doing the Green Route in June, which is why I've joined CC. I will probably be asking too many questions and will look through the boards for help and advice.

As for my bike, if I said it has 2 wheels and 18 gears you'd be able to guess my level of expertise. I know that it's a Btwin hybrid and that I bought it at Decathlon for a little over a hundred pounds. We're not talking class here.

Our ultimate aim is to cycle JOGLE in 2014. I have a long way to go to be fit enough for that but I'll keep at it.

1st question:

My bike has wide tyres and my friend keeps telling me I should have sliks for the Manchester to Blackpool this year. Given that I am not exactly speedy Gonzales -will it make any difference?

colly

Re member eR
Hi Anne,:welcome:

There should be plenty of good advice on here to help you achieve what you want.

Seems like you have achieved quite a bit already.:thumbsup: Don't be concerned by a lack of speed, some of the forum rides are done at a very leisurely pace but they're still good fun. Maybe see you on one or more, this year?

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Hi Anne,

Welcome!

I was a bit dubious about tyres / weight of bike making a difference at first. But then I got a road bike and (although I am still very slow by most people's standards on here), it has made a big difference.

I did London to Paris last year and it's a lot more doable than you think it is (I had several blind panics beforehand!)

cyclebum

:welcome: Hi Anne and well done for your achievements so far. I first joined a few years ago when I was preparing to go on a 5 day challenge for charity in India and all I knew was how to push the pedals round and could just about manage 5 miles, I had a long way to go. Thanks to everyone here answering a lot of silly basic questions I learnt, I really made progress and achieved the 280 miles with relative ease. EG I've learnt the proper use of gears, tackling hills and even a bit of my own bike maintenance though I will need to be refreshed on some of that!:blush: Various family commitments and crises meant I'd been off my bike for quite a while, but as I count down to my next charity challenge in central America (just over 6 weeks) I rejoined to get some reminders and tips as I train. I have a mtb but as I do mostly road cycling (I picked this as this is the type of bike they provide on these challenges) I switched to slicks and yes it makes a difference. Off road tyres can almost hold the road like little suckers meaning you have to work harder so if your like me you will probably notice your speed improving. Good luck in your challenge, having the bug means your half way there :thumbsup:

:welcome: I never used slicks till last year and I have noticed the difference

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Slicks do make a difference to the speeds you can hold, and the effort required to get there.

If you're staying on road, slicks give no detrimental effect on grip that I've ever noticed. We aren't doing car speeds, and we have a tiny contact patch so won't aquaplane. I commuted for a year on knobblies before switching. Turned out to be very good training :smile:

+1 for putting slicks on.

i had schwalb marathons (i think thats how you spell them) on an old mountain bike, they made a bid difference and they give good protection against flats too.

best of luck with your endevours.

Welsh Deano

Hi, another new member (seem's to be a lot of us about ^_^).

I started cycling a couple of years ago when some friends suggested we cycle Manchester to Blackpool. I am in my 40s and very overweight but thought I'd give it a go. Took me 7 hours but I did it.

Same friends then suggested we cycle C2C. I was a year older and still overeight but hey.....We did it June 2011, over 4 days. Day 3 was tough, it took me 13 hours, climbed around 5000 feet but I still got back on the bike the next day. Cycling is addictive and the C2C is fantastic.

Now same friends have suggested London to Paris. We're looking at doing the Green Route in June, which is why I've joined CC. I will probably be asking too many questions and will look through the boards for help and advice.

As for my bike, if I said it has 2 wheels and 18 gears you'd be able to guess my level of expertise. I know that it's a Btwin hybrid and that I bought it at Decathlon for a little over a hundred pounds. We're not talking class here.

Our ultimate aim is to cycle JOGLE in 2014. I have a long way to go to be fit enough for that but I'll keep at it.

1st question:

My bike has wide tyres and my friend keeps telling me I should have sliks for the Manchester to Blackpool this year. Given that I am not exactly speedy Gonzales -will it make any difference?

Hi Anne, and welcome.
Just want to say I've done the London Paris trip a couple of times and will give you any pointers you might want such as where I stayed, good bits, bad bits etc. Let me know and I'll help if I can. What I would say is whatever problems and harships you endure on the way, the prize and thrill of rolling upto the Eiffel Tower makes it all worth it!

Dean

OP
OP
AnneW

AnneW

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies, sorry it's taken so long to gt back on line.

I think I'll have to try slicks, then I'll know the difference.

Welsh Deano - I'll take you up on the offer of help, particular about where you stayed. Thanks.

Top Bottom