Another of ColinJ's hilly W.Yorks rides - Sun 27th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
NB I've altered the route after Slaithwaite to take out Sowerby Bridge. The distance remains the same, with perhaps slightly more climbing. I don't have time to update the map and description below though.

Hi all.

I bumped into Calum at Leeds station last week and he asked me if I was going to organise another ride soon. I did the Mary Towneley Loop ride this weekend and am riding Season of Mists on October 4th so I thought that I'd suggest something for next weekend. Saturday 26th is the Strines forum ride and I don't want to clash with that, so how about doing something on Sunday 27th?

I have plotted a route from Hebden Bridge taking in Saddleworth Moor. It is about 90 kms in length (56 miles) and features a nice selection of West Yorkshire climbs totalling about 2,000 m (6,500 ft). We will ride the loop below in an anti-clockwise direction.

saddleworth-moor-loop.jpg

Route description:

(The first part of the ride follows part of the West Yorkshire Cycle Route - WYCR)

Easy start from Hebden Bridge to Mytholmroyd. Climb Scout Road and over quiet scenic lanes to Baitings Reservoir on the A58. Cross over and continue on the WYCR to Booth Wood Reservoir, and then up to Ringstone Edge Reservoir. Cross the M62 on the B6114 then drop down steeply (*CAUTION!*) and ride round Scammonden Water. Climb up to Pole Moor, then drop down some very steep lanes to Marsden (*CAUTION!*). (Leave WYCR there.) Climb a quiet back road out of Marsden to avoid a big part of the climb up the A62. Rejoin the A62 to complete the climb over Standedge. Soon on the descent, turn left for Diggle and follow some glorious little hilly lanes round to Tunstead and join the A635 above Greenfield to tackle the climb of Saddleworth Moor. Turn left at Wessenden Head and do a very fast 3 km descent to Meltham (*CAUTION!*). Possible shops/cafe stop there. Then there is a 3 km draggy climb to Holt Head, followed by a quick descent to Slaithwaite. Tough climb of Scapegoat Hill then a nice 5 km descent through Outlane, unfortunately immediately followed by a 2.5 km climb back out of the valley through Barkisland to Norland Moor. Very steep, fast descent of Scar Head to Sowerby Bridge (*EXTREME CAUTION!!!*). I'd like to do an easy trundle back mostly along the Calder Valley Cycleway, but we'd have the option of climbing back out of Sowerby Bridge and taking the lanes from Sowerby village, or of course just riding back along the A646 (the Sunday afternoon traffic might be a pain).

Usual rules - fast climbers wait at the hilltops, nobody gets left behind, not for novice riders or impatient experienced riders! :angry:

Start time is 10:00 to allow people to come in on the first trains into Hebden Bridge. Sunset will be at about 19:00 so we have plenty of hours of daylight.

Meet at Market Place car park:

getmapimage.asp

It's a long stay car park and is only about 30p/hour. I'd suggest paying until at least 17:00 just to be on the safe side (wardens patrol here and issue £60 fines!)

Rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • PaulB (maybe + son Liam)
  • Bill (mate of mine - only if it's dry and he gets up in time!)

Alun

Guru
I would be up for it, but I'll be on holiday. Hopefully see you on the Seasons of Mists, if I can enter on the line.

trio25

Über Member
Nope clashes with the three peaks, but should have more time in a few weeks for colins fab rides!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Alun said:
I would be up for it, but I'll be on holiday. Hopefully see you on the Seasons of Mists, if I can enter on the line.
Alun, you still have time to get a postal entry in but if you are going to do it 'on the line' it would probably be a good idea to give the organiser Chris Crossland a ring to let him know; his number is 01422 832 853.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

trio25 said:
Nope clashes with the three peaks...
Ooh, that'll be a really hard day in the saddle and on foot - have fun!

trio25 said:
...but should have more time in a few weeks for colins fab rides!
I'm free every weekend in October apart from the first one which is reserved for Season of Mists so I'm sure that we can all get together again soon.

I did a nice ride with colly, Calum and Bokonon at the start of November last year but then the winter set in early and I didn't do much riding until February. I must try and keep going this time and to encourage me to do that I've just bought a set of the new Crud Roadracer guards for my Basso.

trio25

Über Member
ColinJ said:
Ooh, that'll be a really hard day in the saddle and on foot - have fun!

I'm free every weekend in October apart from the first one which is reserved for Season of Mists so I'm sure that we can all get together again soon.

I did a nice ride with colly, Calum and Bokonon at the start of November last year but then the winter set in early and I didn't do much riding until February. I must try and keep going this time and to encourage me to do that I've just bought a set of the new Crud Roadracer guards for my Basso.

Yes it will be a hard day, I am worried about my lack of specific training!

Let me know what you think of the mudguards, they look good so I am thinking of getting some!

longers

Legendary Member
Good luck Trio! I'd say have fun but that might be stretching it a bit far ;)

You'll be fine, believe in yourself, you're a tough cookie!

This ride on sunday - sorry can't make it Colin, I'm hoping to have to go into work and am doubtful for the weekend after as well, but will see how it goes.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

longers said:
This ride on sunday - sorry can't make it Colin, I'm hoping to have to go into work and am doubtful for the weekend after as well, but will see how it goes.
Looks like there won't be many of The Usual Suspects on this one!

Now tell me - what is this concept of hoping to work at weekends! :biggrin: I remember having to work weekends, but that wasn't something I liked doing! :angry:

longers

Legendary Member
We've been dormant for months and recently won a big contract that should have been with us by now but the freight company lost it! :angry:

If we still get time to do the job I'll be greedy doing my best to make sure we're still fairly close to the deadline.

It's work that give me the money to buy bikes in a roundabout kind of way and I wouldn't want that to come to an end.

Have a good day out!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
longers said:
We've been dormant for months and recently won a big contract that should have been with us by now but the freight company lost it! :angry:

If we still get time to do the job I'll be greedy doing my best to make sure we're still fairly close to the deadline.

It's work that give me the money to buy bikes in a roundabout kind of way and I wouldn't want that to come to an end.

Have a good day out!

get the fuc& in!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Talking of big contracts...

I came back by train from Coventry last week and someone behind me was making a series of phone calls to his colleagues. I kept catching snippets of information but didn't quite realise what the numbers meant until the last call...

"It's normally 75 but I've talked him down to 45"

"Yeah, it's under the 500 so we shouldn't need a budget meeting"

"28 days, but it might run to 50 or so"

"No, I've got him down to 495"

Very intriguing, and then all was revealed...

"His normal rate is £75/hour but he's agreed to do it for £45/hour so that his 11 hour day will come in at £495, £5 under our £500 threshold. I told him that I could get that through, no problem, okay? Great! I'll let him know. So, he will cost us just under £14k if the job gets finished in the 28 days, but it might run to £25k if there are problems. Fine; see you back in the office!"

Nice work if you can get it! (Whatever it was...) :angry:

PS If anybody out there wants to pay me a mere £25/hour, 11 hours a day, for 28 days - I'm free!

Top Bottom