Another of ColinJ's hilly W.Yorks rides - Sun 27th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a_n_t

think our clubrun is heading hebden way on sunday :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
a_n_t said:
think our clubrun is heading hebden way on sunday :smile:
Many club runs go: Littleborough, Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Cragg Vale, Blackstone Edge, Littleborough. It's almost exactly a 20 mile loop with over 1,000 ft of climbing. The usual target is to try and break the hour for it. I haven't managed it yet, but one day I hope to. Obviously it would be much easier to achieve riding in a chaingang.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cool route Col. Goes past my house. When you climb up to Scapegoat Hill from Slaithwaite and turn left to go on Halifax road, my driveway is just past the bus shelter you can see on the right hand side. Wave, but I will be in Doncaster watching Cubester thrash the Thee-Thar's at rugby.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Cubist said:
Cool route Col. Goes past my house. When you climb up to Scapegoat Hill from Slaithwaite and turn left to go on Halifax road, my driveway is just past the bus shelter you can see on the right hand side. Wave, but I will be in Doncaster watching Cubester thrash the Thee-Thar's at rugby.
Why would I want to wave at an empty house! :evil:

Actually, if I'm mad enough to drag my lardy bulk up those hills I probably am mad enough to wave at an empty house... :biggrin:

By the time I've got to the top of Scapegoat Hill, I probably won't even remember where I live, let alone you! :rofl:

Svendo

Guru
How do all, I'm hoping to make it out for this ride if the weather isn't too bad. Radio 4 just said 'Mostly Dry for weekend' except NW Scotland.
It'll be my first outing since a bad crash 10 days ago, trying to overtake a bus at 33 mph and chain came off...
I do want to try out my new wheels though (American Classic 420s ;)) and I'm mostly healed and most impotantly I've the GF's blessing!
Plan to ride out or get train in case I feel rough and want to head home earlier.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Svendo said:
How do all, I'm hoping to make it out for this ride if the weather isn't too bad. Radio 4 just said 'Mostly Dry for weekend' except NW Scotland.
It'll be my first outing since a bad crash 10 days ago, trying to overtake a bus at 33 mph and chain came off...
I do want to try out my new wheels though (American Classic 420s :biggrin:) and I'm mostly healed and most impotantly I've the GF's blessing!
Plan to ride out or get train in case I feel rough and want to head home earlier.
Ouch - sounds like you are lucky to be riding again so soon! :thumbsdown:

It'll be nice to see you again and perhaps your injuries will give me a better chance of keeping up! :smile:

The first trains into Hebden Bridge from Rochdale (or Leeds - Calum! ;)) should be in time. The Rochdale train is due in at 09:52, Leeds trains at 09:29 and 09:53. It's less than 5 minutes by bike to the car park from the railway station.

Svendo

Guru
Hi Colin et al.

Afraid I'm going to have to bow out of tomorrows ride. I've just been out on a quick test run up Blackstone Edge and back. Physically I'm up to it I think, but I've found some cracking in the paint at the seatstay-drop out weld (Alu frame).

Think I need to remove the paint to see if it's just the paint or if it's the metal/weld underneath, and/or get bike shop opinion. I'm also having chain jumping problems because the new outer chainring seems to be further in than the old one and the chain keeps catching the shifting pins when in the smaller sprockets. I'm also not entirely sure the gear hanger and derailleur are properly straight and tight, so I'll take them off, clean and refit them, then see how they look.

Sorry to go on but most people I know would have glazed over half way through the first sentence!

I've got to go round to my Mum's this afternoon so I'll be at the bike shop tomorrow instead of out with you guys. Hey ho. Worst case it's a new frame and a bike to go on the turbo!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Svendo said:
Hi Colin et al.

Afraid I'm going to have to bow out of tomorrows ride.
Shucks - and I've just changed the last section of the route to make it more interesting for you! :biggrin:

Actually, I decided that (a) the descent into Sowerby Bridge was too risky and (:biggrin: why should we go into a built-up area when there are scenic alternatives?

I hope you get the bike sorted out at minimal cost and don't forget that Season of Mists is next weekend!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Calum just texted me to say that he is out late tonight so he doesn't fancy getting up early to come over here and ride up and down over a lot of big hills in the morning!

It looks like it will be just 3 or 4 of us then. It's a pity - the forecast is looking very favourable.

Come on folks - last chance - doesn't anybody else fancy a guided tour of some of the nicest hills in this area? :smile:

aJohnson

ColinJ said:
Calum just texted me to say that he is out late tonight so he doesn't fancy getting up early to come over here and ride up and down over a lot of big hills in the morning!

It looks like it will be just 3 or 4 of us then. It's a pity - the forecast is looking very favourable.

Come on folks - last chance - doesn't anybody else fancy a guided tour of some of the nicest hills in this area? :rolleyes:

I'd love to but I think I'll be tagging along on a Wheelers ride :biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

aJohnson said:
I'd love to but I think I'll be tagging along on a Wheelers ride :biggrin:
A Manchester Wheelers chaingang overtook me on the Cragg Vale climb a few years back. They were all on their big rings and doing about 20 mph up the hill! :rolleyes:

I'll take a quick look at this thread in the morning to see if anybody has decided to come along at the last minute.

Top Bottom