Another of ColinJ's hilly W.Yorks rides - Sun 27th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

ColinJ said:
A Manchester Wheelers chaingang overtook me on the Cragg Vale climb a few years back. They were all on their big rings and doing about 20 mph up the hill! :biggrin:

Are you trying to persuade me to not do it :rolleyes: :biggrin: I'll decide in morning.

a_n_t

ColinJ said:
A Manchester Wheelers chaingang overtook me on the Cragg Vale climb a few years back. They were all on their big rings and doing about 20 mph up the hill! ;)

Well it's not steep is it! :biggrin:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
aJohnson said:
Colin think I may be joining you.
You're welcome, but if you are still in Bury to read this - you need to get a move on!

I know your post was written about an hour ago. If you will struggle to make it for 10:00, reply immediately and I/we can wait a while if we know that you are definitely coming.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

They're dropping like flies...

PaulB had just PM'd to tell me that he has an injured ankle! :birthday:

It's gonna be lonely out on those hills today!

Anyway, one way or another I need to get ready so - see ya later folks.

aJohnson

Colin, sorry >:birthday:. I got there but it looked as if I was too late, I would have easily been there on time if the fog wasn't so bad on the motorway, next time I'll be an hour early.

Svendo

Guru
Yeah, how was it? I was jealous looking at the almost perfect late summer weather as I did my mundane Sunday errands at B&Q with all the other non-cycling sheep.

Incidentally, had a good check and I think the bike's prob. OK. can't see a crack under the paint and couldn't make it open or move at all. Still get it checked at LBS tho.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

aJohnson said:
Colin, sorry >;). I got there but it looked as if I was too late, I would have easily been there on time if the fog wasn't so bad on the motorway, next time I'll be an hour early.
Oh - we waited until 10:20 but it didn't look like you were coming after all! Never mind - catch you next time.

Did you go out and explore the area anyway?

trio25 said:
SO how was the ride?

Svendo said:
Yeah, how was it? I was jealous looking at the almost perfect late summer weather as I did my mundane Sunday errands at B&Q with all the other non-cycling sheep.
Well, the weather was really nice when we set off but it clouded over after a couple of hours and a stiff, cool wind picked up. Sometimes it was against us (the climb from Marsden to Standedge was tough) and sometimes it helped us (Saddleworth Moor was much easier than I normally find it).

I'd forgotten what a hard combination of hills that route packs in. Suffice to say that is the only time in about 15 years of riding with fit mate Bill that I have ever managed to get him tired! He was having to wait for me at the tops of the bigger/steeper hills but he said that he wouldn't have wanted to ride much quicker anyway on that terrain.

Once we got to Slaithwaite, I decided that we wouldn't do some of the last tough hills that I'd been contemplating so we climbed Scapegoat Hill (as originally planned) rather than turning left part-way up to go to Pole Moor. We dropped all the way down from Ripponden to Sowerby Bridge and then came back along the Calder Valley Cycleway to avoid the hills and traffic.

It ended up being 58.5 miles (94 km) with about 7,000 ft of hills (2,150 m), some of them very tough. My arms and shoulders are as tired as my legs thanks to all the pulling on the bars on the tough climbs.

Svendo said:
Incidentally, had a good check and I think the bike's prob. OK. can't see a crack under the paint and couldn't make it open or move at all. Still get it checked at LBS tho.
It sounds okay, but getting the LBS to check it over is probably a wise move.

aJohnson

ColinJ said:
Oh - we waited until 10:20 but it didn't look like you were coming after all! Never mind - catch you next time.

Did you go out and explore the area anyway?

Well I didn't have much time as my brother was heading to his house so I had a ride around Sale for a bit, damn Hebden Bridge roads looked hilly though. I did do the rake climb though, managed it without having to stop which I'm proud of.

trio25

Über Member
The rake climb is hard, I've got up it a couple of times but failed when I tried it on my singlespeed mountain bike!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

trio25 said:
The rake climb is hard, I've got up it a couple of times but failed when I tried it on my singlespeed mountain bike!
I rode up it on the Rossendale MTB Challenge in 2003. Not so bad with low gears, but very hard otherwise!

The National Hill Climb championships were held there a few years back. It was very impressive to see really fit riders sprint up the Rake on fixed wheel bikes. There were a few, however, who were overgeared and it was painful watching them weaving all over the road and one or two of them actually falling off!

Lancashire Road Club normally organise an annual hill climb event on the Rake. It didn't take place last year, but it is back on the calendar this year. I'd say that this event has trio25 and RedBike written all over it! :smile: (And a distinct ColinJ contraindication...)

Contact details of organiser.

It might be too late to enter now, but if you fancy it - give the organiser a ring ASAP.

trio25

Über Member
I'm working, otherwise I might have been tempted! Not the sort of event I would be any good at, but for such a short event I wouldn't look too stupid and at least I know I can get up the thing! In my lowest gear!!!

The first time I went up was on a geared mountain bike and a car went past looking so pleased to have beaten a girl on a bike!

Top Bottom