Another one bites the dust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It's a shame really as it's a good idea.
The ones in Cambridge are dockless, and are a pain in the 4rse, they get left anywhere. And I mean ANYWHERE!!!

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I was bought up in south Somerset. If you pulled into a gateway on a lane to let a combine past it was sods law the combine would need to go into that gateway. Now I've moved to Bristol, the yellow "YoBikes" seem to be doing the equivalent, ie they just get in the way.

As others have said, it's down to the rider not the scheme. I'll try and get a photo next time I see one.

tom73

Guru
Always a shame when these ideas fail as it will end up turned into more fuel for the anti cycle fire.
Guess it's finding the balance between friendly and simple usability. Having bikes available at locations and at a time you want one. With minimising
miss use ,limiting ones going missing. The cost of running and maintaining a fleet won't be cheep together with set up costs and our narrow view of cycling as a transport option it can't make it easy to even get to brake even.
Some look to be working though anyone know if a detailed study has been down into why some work and others don't ?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The bike share in Melbourne, Australia just went belly up also about a week or two ago, probably for similar reasons, although here the stupid mandatory helmet law was a major contributing factor to the bike share's demise.

classic33

Leg End Member
Bike&Go is another that will soon be gone. Poor uptake on actual use of the bikes parked at railway stations.

Never been easy to actually hire one, or return one(locally). They weren't allowed on local trains, and had to be returned to the same station they came from.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Bike&Go is another that will soon be gone. Poor uptake on actual use of the bikes parked at railway stations.

Never been easy to actually hire one, or return one(locally). They weren't allowed on local trains, and had to be returned to the same station they came from.

Are they the ones where you have to join the queue in the ticket office for a key /token to remove the bike from the stand, and repeat when you take it back? I don't think I've ever seen one in use.

Top Bottom