Another one bites the dust...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"A man who used his 4x4 to knock down a teenage cyclist before beating him up and trashing his new bicycle during a road rage row has been jailed for six months.

The judge told Michael Hanley: ‘‘Cyclists are entitled to share the road with drivers. Whatever got you into that state is beyond me – a complete rush of blood to the head.”

The 69-year-old builder wept as he was sent to prison, having earlier been found guilty of dangerous driving and common assault following a trial. He was also banned from driving for 15 months."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...r-knocking-teenager-off-bike-in-road-rage-row

Well boo hoo to you too mate.

The only thing I don't get is why the Graun runs it under the headline:

Man, 69, jailed for knocking teenager off bike in road rage row

Judging by the report, there was no 'row': this was a straightforward one-sided vicious assault.

Still, jail. As it should be. Tho' a 15 month ban is a joke. People like this should be considered to have forfeited any right to take a ton of metal out among innocent people. Lifetime ban: one strike like this and you should be out for good.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice to see a few sent to the big house of late. Bans should be permanent though when a car is used as a weapon - you wouldn't be allowed near a firearm again, so why a 4 wheeled weapon?

and his Lawyer tries this

Hanley’s lawyer, Stephanie Varle, said her client had type 2 diabetes and experienced a sugar low during the incident, which could make his behaviour “unpredictable”. It was a “moment of madness”, she said.

Lets hope Hanley is following Stephanie next time he has a sugar low.

I don't understand how a 'lawyer' can try such a low handed tactic without there being a recourse to examine his/her credentials. That as an excuse is utterly ridiculous. if he had experienced a sugar low, surely he is knowingly unfit to drive.

as Drago said up thread, you shoot someone during a 'sugar low' there is no way you would get your gun license back so why a car?

tom73

Guru
A total loser all round attacking anyone is plan wrong. But attacking a kid well that just show's what real lowlife he really is.
As for his defence good job Mrs 73 was not asked to give evidence she has a record for blowing such medical crap out the window.
Let's hope it helps the lad get over the effects of being attacked.

I remember reading about tdon't you mean anyone of any agehe trial when he was found guilty. I'm guessing this was for sentencing following reports, hence the headline.
Quite incredible a man of this age should behave in such an outrageous manner.

its unacceptable for anyone of any age to behave like that

raleighnut

Legendary Member
and his Lawyer tries this

Hanley’s lawyer, Stephanie Varle, said her client had type 2 diabetes and experienced a sugar low during the incident, which could make his behaviour “unpredictable”. It was a “moment of madness”, she said.

Lets hope Hanley is following Stephanie next time he has a sugar low.

I don't understand how a 'lawyer' can try such a low handed tactic without there being a recourse to examine his/her credentials. That as an excuse is utterly ridiculous. if he had experienced a sugar low, surely he is knowingly unfit to drive.

as Drago said up thread, you shoot someone during a 'sugar low' there is no way you would get your gun license back so why a car?
As a type 2 diabetic there is no such thing as a sugar low, type 2 is high blood sugar all the time.

As a type 2 diabetic there is no such thing as a sugar low, type 2 is high blood sugar all the time.

So in which case, unless the lawyer was misled by medical science, she was looking for excuses to explain his behaviour

Surely there is a legal precedent or two to be had here

Can you tell I’ve no idea about law stuff though

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've not got it but I know people who do. Isn't "low blood sugar" common language for "a hypo"? https://www.novonordisk.com/patient...betes/type2-diabetes-and-low-blood-sugar.html

However, I've known it result in confusion and anxiety but not prolonged violent assaults - indeed, shaking, weakness and dizziness are also fairly common results and would prevent that - so I think the lawyer is making shoot up.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've not got it but I know people who do. Isn't "low blood sugar" common language for "a hypo"? https://www.novonordisk.com/patient...betes/type2-diabetes-and-low-blood-sugar.html

However, I've known it result in confusion and anxiety but not prolonged violent assaults - indeed, shaking, weakness and dizziness are also fairly common results and would prevent that - so I think the lawyer is making shoot up.

More like talking absolute spheroids, type 2 is when your pancreas either doesn't produce enough insulin or your body is 'resisting' the insulin produced (generally due to fat) so leads to high glucose levels in the blood.

Oh and BTW my blood sugar was almost back to normal at the last test, change of diet, reducing alcohol consumption (:cry:) and 'Metformin' seem to have it under control ^_^

Top Bottom