Another one bites the dust...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The answer is yes.

Type 2 diabetics can get hypoglycaemia - when they take too much glucose lowering medication (for example insulin). See this paper which explains that it may be a bigger problem than originally thought.

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/12/2948

That's a medication problem, not the condition itself. A healthy person could misuse the medication in the same manner and suffer the same effects.

@vickster Its Lyxumia (think I've spelled that correctly). She tells me it works in the same manner as GLP1 but is a daily thing. She was on metformin, but that wasn't doing the job. Problem is when she's Ill and they hammer her with steroids - the poor lass balloons and that's affected her health vis a vis diabetes. She's been 18 months since a bad relapse and all the excess weight has gone, but the damage is done. 14 tablets and 2 I injections daily, but I usually do the injections as her hands don't work so well so I can usually do a less painful job.

Fortunately, to date he hasn't knocked me off my bike or slapped me about too badly.

tom73

Guru
No, his drops to lower than what would be normal. Like 3. Has to test levels and adjust insulin accordingly. similar to T1 requirement

Most T2 do not require insulin so on the whole the stranded treatments are not likely to lower blood sugar to lower than normal levels.
Hence my reply which still stands.

If meds are not correctly taken or the condition not managed then insulin will result in possible lower than normal level.
But then what's low for one is not the same for others. Blood sugar range as with many other rangers are just a guide not set in stone or used in isolation.

vickster

Legendary Member
Most T2 do not require insulin so on the whole the stranded treatments are not likely to lower blood sugar to lower than normal levels.
Hence my reply which still stands.

If meds are not correctly taken or the condition not managed then insulin will result in possible lower than normal level.
But then what's low for one is not the same for others. Blood sugar range as with many other rangers are just a guide not set in stone or used in isolation.
Many more t2 would benefit from insulin too to get better control and reduce risk of complications from what I’ve heard numerous clinicians say but patients are unwilling for a long list of reasons.
Your reply followed mine, I thought it was a reply to me

Hardly relevant to the thread however

tom73

Guru
Oh wonder why maybe the main one being once you you start your stuffed no going back.
Drug companies already make a mint from NHS money better spent on preventing illness in the 1st place.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh wonder why maybe the main one being once you you start your stuffed no going back.
Drug companies already make a mint from NHS money better spent on preventing illness in the 1st place.
In a perfect world obviously...however, it’s not just down to the NHS...lots of patients aren’t compliant long term, be it with lifestyle changes, medication (my father certainly wasn’t and he’s absolutely no fool...just a pretty typical Middle Aged professional bloke when diagnosed, working long hours, eating too much of the wrong thing, not exercising)

Drago

Legendary Member
Would a petition "Permanently revoke the driving licence of anyone using their vehicle as a weapon" gain any traction do you think ?

Throw in 'death by' and youd get my signature.

and his Lawyer tries this

Hanley’s lawyer, Stephanie Varle, said her client had type 2 diabetes and experienced a sugar low during the incident, which could make his behaviour “unpredictable”. It was a “moment of madness”, she said.

Lets hope Hanley is following Stephanie next time he has a sugar low.

I don't understand how a 'lawyer' can try such a low handed tactic without there being a recourse to examine his/her credentials. That as an excuse is utterly ridiculous. if he had experienced a sugar low, surely he is knowingly unfit to drive.

as Drago said up thread, you shoot someone during a 'sugar low' there is no way you would get your gun license back so why a car?
One word to the lawyer , " BOLLOCKS " . He should be barred for coming out with this nonsense .

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
and his Lawyer tries this

Hanley’s lawyer, Stephanie Varle, said her client had type 2 diabetes and experienced a sugar low during the incident, which could make his behaviour “unpredictable”. It was a “moment of madness”, she said.

Lets hope Hanley is following Stephanie next time he has a sugar low.

I don't understand how a 'lawyer' can try such a low handed tactic without there being a recourse to examine his/her credentials. That as an excuse is utterly ridiculous. if he had experienced a sugar low, surely he is knowingly unfit to drive.

as Drago said up thread, you shoot someone during a 'sugar low' there is no way you would get your gun license back so why a car?

One word to the lawyer , " BOLLOCKS " . He should be barred for coming out with this nonsense .
It's been one of those days for gender assumption again.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am neither medical nor do I have any experience of diabetes, so I ask this as a genuinely open question.... is it possible for the treatment for type 2 diabetes to produce low blood sugar?
No, unless you're on Insulin,

My father who is Type 2 and on insulin (has been for years) certainly gets hypos if he doesn't eat (often) enough

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/complications/hypos

that's type 1 I'd say

Top Bottom