Another one bites the dust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
An example of why people will carry on using their cars rather than public transport. In this instance, the train.
I did a quick comparison between train and car to go to Chester from my town for one person.
Train. Duration of journey 50 minutes. Cost: £18.
Car, diesel.Duration of journey, same. Cost: £8 for up to 5 people.
Unless public transport becomes a lot cheaper, people will carry on using their cars. Simple economics.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Yea it’s a Fiesta Fossy.
It’s a road near our house so we know it well, we’re rural and there are potholes everywhere.
My wife was driving and says she wasn’t going fast but the hole is huge even rolling through it would be a risk.
I will take pictures and try and claim for this.
My question, that metal looks really thin?

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
An example of why people will carry on using their cars rather than public transport. In this instance, the train.
I did a quick comparison between train and car to go to Chester from my town for one person.
Train. Duration of journey 50 minutes. Cost: £18.
Car, diesel.Duration of journey, same. Cost: £8 for up to 5 people.
Unless public transport becomes a lot cheaper, people will carry on using their cars. Simple economics.

oh if train or bus was a decent option I would take it, when I first started working I took the bus and loved it, it was 45mins to read a book and relax, the only reason I started driving was they hugely reduced the buses and hiked the prices.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I've had that happen on a set of aftermarket wheels. They go with an awful bang.

I'd be looking at a different style of alloy if you are going to keep the car.

Issue I have with aftermarkets is I have to declare it and insurance goes up, I'm trying to get my hands on 15" steels, but I'm not paying Fords prices at £105 a corner, so I have asked some breakers yards.

I thought I would ask about the thickness, I'm no structural guy but it looked thin is all.

Jody

Stubborn git
Issue I have with aftermarkets is I have to declare it and insurance goes up,

You'll find it makes a negligible (if any) difference to your premiums. Most companies accept mild modification of a car like wheels, tints, air filters, exhausts etc.

You will still have to declare changing to steel wheels as you are altering specification from factory.

gbb

Legendary Member
Assuming the roads really are that bad its perhaps no surprise the wheels are failing if they have been used on those roads for some time. They're just not made to withstand multiple, frequent, hard bangs over a period of time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
told the fitter I wanted mid range durable tyres.

So called premium tyres may be a solution.

I've tried mid range a couple of times over the years and have been underwhelmed.

No problem with punctures, but they wore quickly, one set flat spotted, and handling suffered.

Premium tyres are tougher, so they may offer better protection to the wheel.

I've broken a coil spring thanks to a pothole in the dark, but never damaged a wheel or tyre.

Steel wheels may also help.

They can usually be hammered back into shape, provided you can find a garage that doesn't go all health and safety on you and is prepared to do it.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I have been using the Hankook brand, wear wise they seem ok, but trying better premium tyres will be worth it.

I'm trying to get hold on steels, Ford wanted £110 a corner! haha no way, so I'm waiting on a reply from some local breakers yards.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hankook
I have been using the Hankook brand,

Far from rubbish - they are original equipment on some Fords.

Years ago when I was in the trade - as a Saturday boy - we found you couldn't get better than Michelin.

Not so many brands around in those days, but I still aim for Michelin today.

The Ford price for steel wheels strikes me as not too dear.

While you can get a serviceable Fiesta for a couple of grand, it's easy to forget it's still a £12-£15,000 car with related servicing costs.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Hankook

Far from rubbish - they are original equipment on some Fords.

Years ago when I was in the trade - as a Saturday boy - we found you couldn't get better than Michelin.

Not so many brands around in those days, but I still aim for Michelin today.

The Ford price for steel wheels strikes me as not too dear.

While you can get a serviceable Fiesta for a couple of grand, it's easy to forget it's still a £12-£15,000 car with related servicing costs.

Hankook on our Kia sportwagon .
Front 29000 with about 3k left
Rears I'd guess another 10k
Superb tyres.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
:laugh: your wheels will be the least of your worry then..

haha but you’re probably right.
The Hankook tyres I can’t complain to be honest, they do good mileage unless damaged, above all they stop you very well if you need to, I can’t criticise the tyres it would be very unfair.
Fact is you should be able to use the roads without having to weave around like a drunk.
Also anyone in south east/ Kent I can’t recommend Cranbrook tyres enough, they repaired my damaged wheels and good prices on new hankooks.

Top Bottom